Radio Controlled Aircraft

Fmxmatt

Anyone here own or have had a play round with RC aircraft? I'm quite keen to give it a go, but am unsure what to buy. Have been eying up the electric P51 Mustangs on trademe, but are they worth the $$? Or should I just spend a bit more and get a gas one??

The electric one is prob a good idea incase I find myself not really interested in it, but i'd love the option of being able to upgrade to gas or whatever.

as i fly aircraft my suggestion is find out where theres a rc aircraft culb in your area. and talk to one of the culb members. and go from there as a first aircraft some thing like a fun fly or trainer.you will need two to start of with as you will crash it,it easy to fly but hard to land.with in the club will have a club member that will show you how to fly also he can hook up his transmitter to yours as a bubby system so if you get in to trouble he can get you out of it hopefully.with out lose your aircraft,i hope that is helpful ant. 8) 8)

Anyone here own or have had a play round with RC aircraft? I'm quite keen to give it a go, but am unsure what to buy. Have been eying up the electric P51 Mustangs on trademe, but are they worth the $$? Or should I just spend a bit more and get a gas one??

The electric one is prob a good idea incase I find myself not really interested in it, but i'd love the option of being able to upgrade to gas or whatever.

Planning on going flying in the morning, actually.:) Managed to repair the brushless motor in my mini ultrastick...Well, appears to be repaired anyway.

The P51 mustangs would be a great first plane if you like destroying your money. P51s are touchy even for experienced fliers, you, a total beginner, would probably not even get off the ground without demolishing it. Just about everything on tradem...Err, I mean the site we are not allowed to speak of...that's described as a trainer is almost completely inappropriate as a trainer.

Electrics aren't necessarily cheaper, for anything but a small plane they're going to cost quite a bit more. You can get a good nitro engine that will easily fly a 5 foot wingspan balsa for about $200 or less. An equivalent power and endurance system using an electric will cost somewhere around $400 using the cheapest and dirtiest bits.

If you want to go electric I'd suggest something like a Multiplex Easystar. They're pretty much indestructable. www.foamworks.co.nz has them. They're an ARF(Almost Ready to Fly) so you'll need to buy your own radio gear to install in it, batteries and charger. Once you're experienced to upgrade you can move the gear to your new plane.

If you're willing to accept a nitro plane do a search on the T word site for "AT40 rtf combo" it's got almost everything you'd need to start off.

And if you do get a plane, go to your local club, get someone there to fly it and trim it. Even for someone with experience flying a new, out of trim plane can get a bit terrifying...

My Dad is right into his RC flying, along with my brother in law. Hes got about 10 planes now, and 2 helis lol.

They started off learning with a pair of indestructible gliders (made out of foam) at a hill at the local beach as it has good ocean wind uplift. Then they moved onto a pair of cheap polystyrene electric planes, and from there onto larger, more stable planes.

Their latest toy is a bungie cord used to fling a little glider 30 metres up in the air :lol:

I have an Electric P51 - yours cheap if you want it (comes with spare wing, spinner, etc...)

Also a more sensible Electric trainer too - also yours cheap...

my husband *BREATHES * RC aircraft, as well as eating them for breakfast, dreaming about them and spending every last dollar on them :evil: :roll:

He does tutors at the local club and has like 15 years of obsessive knowledge to pass on.

He has about 17 planes in various stages including electric and if he can't help ya he sure could pass you on to someone who can.

pm me if ya wanna get in touch.

*and i thought i was bad with the fish :oops: *

Too late, already purchased an electric corsair with all the bits. Was a damn sight cheaper than the other ones I was looking at so I'm not too worried about crashing.

Conch i'll get in touch with you after I've destroyed the Corsair with training if I want to continue ;)

Hehe, Yeah, note that "Yet"... It gets really expensive if you have an occasional crash. My first two lipos had a total cost of about $210, first was destroyed in the first flight, second was destroyed in another plane on about the tenth flight. So...Total cost per flight just for batteries? $20.

What corsair did you get? GWS corsairs are common and cheap, but all the GWS warbirds are legendarily touchy to fly and usually take a lot of modifications...

Too late, already purchased an electric corsair with all the bits. Was a damn sight cheaper than the other ones I was looking at so I'm not too worried about crashing.

Conch i'll get in touch with you after I've destroyed the Corsair with training if I want to continue ;)

Can I watch? I'll video it and put it on "A large video website" and it'll be immortalised forever!

p.s NOBODY like planes more than me.. I prefer real ones with live people inside them, and the sharper the better!

If it is the same as that one you won't really be able to transfer any of the radio gear to a new plane. That radio looks like it'll be a 27mhz AM radio like most of the really cheap RTF toy types. I don't know if you can even buy receivers that would work with it. But, if you don't break it straight away it'll be a start until you buy good gear.

Zhacque, I'm pretty much assuming i'll be able to get it off the groud, but i'll try something fancy I.E barrel roll, and plow it into the deck within 5 minutes of flying

You may be assuming a bit much with a new, untrimmed plane.:)

Slope combat is fun. Haven't done slope for a few years now. It's weird the amount of ppl into fish and planes. One thing to remember with park fly planes. You are responsible for any harm or damage you may cause.

There is about 7 clubs here in Chch so finding one isn't a problem

It is expensive. I'm getting a Matrix F3A built and will cost about $3K, also have a 35% Giles 202 (80cc) on the table and will be cheap at about 3.5K.

Worst case they won't last 2 mins best case quite a few years.

Mr L

www.modelaeroclub.com

Wow! Mr Loopy 3k would take you way past solo stage in a glider...probably easier to fly than an RC too :-?

solo stage in a glider

you mean a full size glider??

umm....no. I would have to draw the line there.

toy.jpg

The latest plane hubby got has a roughly 6ft wingspan. And now he has to try and work out where to store it. :roll:

He keeps getting bigger and bigger toys. I couldn't handle full size.

probably easier to fly than an RC too

I think that is what he loves about them. Flying models seems to come as naturally to him as blinking.

I almost always win the Fish versus planes arguments!! (and there are plenty of them lol!!!)