Water at Takapuna

wasp

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for me the expense and hassle of using artificial salt would probably tip me over the edge and I would quit the hobby. But please do keep us fully informed Reef any time MAF communicate to you an issue on the matter.

The cross contamination risk though is not that great, what I do is collect water & tip it into the tank. The container itself has no contact with the tank. I go and collect more water, no risk of cross contamination.

"the point is that there is a risk and MAF are looking closely at the hobby and even told me that are looking to maybe closing it down due to the risk of introducing a new organism, not necessary from collection sea water but the risk from getting the fish/corals in. "

Isn't the whole point of quarantine to stop the nasty organisms being introduced?

"the point is that there is a risk and MAF are looking closely at the hobby and even told me that are looking to maybe closing it down due to the risk of introducing a new organism, not necessary from collection sea water but the risk from getting the fish/corals in. "

Isn't the whole point of quarantine to stop the nasty organisms being introduced?

Yes it is, but perhaps MAF should look at things like enforcing existing rules with shipping (as in container boats) rather than a hobby involving organisms that just aren't viable in local conditions. Although they are right to try and protect our environment and ecosystems, unfortunately MAF can be a little small minded sometimes. Just look at how they (mis)handled Didymo.

Don’t bother, it depends which department you deal with and they don’t take any responsibility to get anything done. You have to deal with the decision makers not the ground staff as they are just order takers.

Yep, MAF make some ridiculous decisions.

I sat a 2hr, open book, no one ever fails, course (which you can do over the internet now), and am now able to inspect and clear shipping containers delivered straight to work(old work :wink: ).

What a joke, the companys importing clearing there own containers.

Well is the problem the importation of organisms, or the collection of NSW?

Have MAF ever considered that we collect NSW?

If our collection of NSW is an issue then how do they feel about big container ships dumping 100's of tons of foreign ballast water into our waters if they have to leave with a heavier load?

Or scrapping off aggressive Sooth Afrikaaan muscles into our inshore fisheries? They need to sort their priorities out. What's more likely - some guy takes expensive coral and throws it into the sea for a gag, or big boat floats inshore and dumps crap everywhere, then leaves?

Yep, MAF make some ridiculous decisions.

I sat a 2hr, open book, no one ever fails, course (which you can do over the internet now), and am now able to inspect and clear shipping containers delivered straight to work(old work :wink: ).

What a joke, the companys importing clearing there own containers.

Nah they canned the internet course, unless they've just reintroduced it again?

I did the same one, couldn't believe there were people in the group getting answers wrong! lol

Has anyone calculate how much it would cost to do water changes in their big tanks with ASW? Tanks 200l and up?

When I first set up my little 80l ASW was easier to use but now my tank is larger I did not even contemplate using ASW as it would of been a hassle getting a large enough container to mix it in then having to buy the salt.. Plus I love the looks and questions people ask when I'm collecting at Taka. :lol:

Next task is getting an RODI - Thank you Bryan for letting me steal your water lol.

Hey, how far south have people been noticing bluebottles?

I have been having a hard time with all these onshores, there were bluebottles on the beach, and now rain. Last week the beach I collect from looked clear, but afterwards I went for a surf at the next couple bays over & I still saw some bluebottles floating around and I even felt like I got some stings.

So, the big question: Is it possible to have microscopic BB spores, or stingies that I cannot see? I need to do waterchanges, but am a little scared to use this water!