Arowana Question

anthony law

Maximum sizes to expect and ultimately cater for in captivity would roughly be 3'+ for a silver, 2.5-3' black, 2' asian/jardini.

Have a read of this and have a browse of the MFK arowana forum.

Realistically tho, unless you're loaded and can afford an asian, or are lucky enough to pick up a jardini, you've got a choice of silver or silver.

yeah

jardinii long term doesnt need as much turning space as a silver aro, silver aro gets much much longer.

but they are moreflexible in terms of turning. the problem wiht silvers is that they are more jumpers by nature than the sclerepages genus.

they jump when frightened, or uncomfortable, always have 10 to 15 cms of gap and dont fill to the top so they can jump. when silvers hunt, they tend to really come out of the water. asians and jardinii not so much but a little bit.

a silver will be ok in that tank for liek david said, at least 2 to 3 years, probably more depending on how fast it grows.

in terms of tank mates, wil silvers you can put heaps.

ck, rck, flagtails, chalceus, cigar sharks, silver sharks, pacu, silver dollars, meynis, pleco

lots really

anything that is either semi aggressive to aggresive, or too fast to b seen as food.

but aros always surprise you wiht what they try to eat. my jardinii ate a bristle nose and killed plecos. but leaves tinfoil barbs alone. it attacks large borneo tigers but leaves little flagtails alone.

mfk has a few hundred years total accumulated knowledge on all types of aro, even african aros.

join that too

yeah but its beter than no margin:P

when i did it on mine, he stopped cutting his head as much

the distance give enough slowing down power to reduce damage

but you are right

when they get to 5 inch plus, their weight will punh through the water anyways making little differennce

what i found is that i get my aro used to people walking past and external light sources like windows etc.

that makes them less skittish

alot of people do it though

maybe peace of mind lol which doesnt help when they hit the top anyways

i have no gap on mine as it has an overflow right to the top

my fish is also scared of the net

everytime i put the let to get un eaten shrimps, the dats go nuts to the other end of the tank

funny really