Packet of fish food says feed 3 times a day - would you?

FineArtist

No, because they dont need heaps of food in a well established planted tank. Infact caryl most likely has the healthiest fish here....

Infact, my community tank (established planted tank) only gets fed flake food about 3 times a week, then live brine shrimp another 2 or 3 days. They dont get all that much food realy....

I feed my fish around 4-5times a day sometimes more little and often gets fish well conditioned fast and babies growing faster too :)

However I might add I do have strick maintenance good filtration and I know how much to feed my fish as to not cause problems. Also all tanks have scavenger fish and all babies are in barebottom tanks and fed mostly microworms that stay alive for a few days if not eaten.

I would recommend to a beginner 1-2 times daily only as much as your fish can eat in a couple of minutes.

As for how many hours you turn your lights on it depends on if your tank is planted etc..

I leave my lights on for 12 hours a day but that is probably too much, I'd probably start with 8 hours a day and see how it all goes if your plants dont grow and your getting no algae build up maybe increase it a bit, if algae and everything goes nuts maybe bump it back a bit. Some people only turn their lights on when they want to look at the fish but obviously if you have plants they need them.

i feed the fish in my planted tank (cardinals, flying-fox, ottos, chain loaches, blue rams) twice a day; each feeding is very small.

my cichlids i feed sparingly, every second day i give them one feeding. the rest of the time they munch the algae off the rocks and back glass (i've been trying to get as much algae growth for them as possible).

generally i only give my fish as much as they can eat in 20-30 seconds, if they haven't eaten it after that, i give them one more minute and, if it's still there, i remove it using a net.

Im breeding most the time and feed twice a day to the breeders... if they start to not be as keen on their tucker, they miss a meal or two

The fry get twice a day and sometimes 3 times at the weekends as well as 90% water changes twice a day

At Christmas, when Im away, they get fed maybe once a week but I do have Java Moss in with them at that stage