Suggestion for an easy breeding fish

Hi guys,

Can someone please suggest a good easy fish to breed. I would like it to be easy but harder than livebearers (I've only breed platys before). I'd prefer it to be able to breed in twos or threes and look after their fry (or at least not eat all their eggs and fry). Also something that is a community fish. I know it's a lot to ask for but if anyone knows of something that is sort of like this could you please suggest it.

I brought wcmm before but they all died and the lfs havn't got any more in since. I wanted to try kribs but I thought that they got aggressive once they getting into breeding. I was going to try danios but decided not to because of how they eat their eggs.

Do you want to try and breed this fish in a community tank? If you have another tank just breed the danio's and take the parents out raise the babies easy to do.

WCMM's are easy to do just fill up a tank with plants I got a few and also had heavy losses to begin with too but have sorted it out and they're breeding now, not very prolific when the parents are left in the tank but still cool :)

Thanks Cam, its a pic of my male fryeri I took the other day :)

Id go for WCMM or something easy like that, surely someone in Welly has some to spare, or else ill let you know when mine are sexable and get you a pair or 2 to try..

Or as suggested post what you like or already have and we can go from there.

I like dwarf cichlids because of the way they look after their fry and how the fry school around them. At the moment in my tank I have Khulie Loaches, Platys, Neons, Black Widows, Blue Rams, Gold Rams and a male fighter.

Have you thought about bristlenoses? They are great - they look after their babies, and are easy (like really easy) to feed. Seem tough too. I have a bunch of babies just sitting in a plastic tank on the kitchen table without a heater!!

The babies are cute too - well if you are into catfish. GBAs are harder, with slower growing babies.

Cheers, Sam

I'm not going to try breed them in a community tank. I don't think

I want to breed WCMM or danios is their anything else can I try breed?

they cant attack fish that arent there.

if there are other fish in the tank they will learn pretty quickly not to go near krib territory

Yep, I'd go with Kribs too. Mine certainly get grumpy with the other occupants when they want to breed and give chase to everything that comes into their territory but have never done any real damage to the other fish.

The advantages are, they're not that big and are great fun to watch as they take care of the fry and they sure look pretty when they're in the mood for breeding which in my case is frequently.

Even though i absolutely LOVE killies and would have them over ANY fish, i would suggest starting out with something that requires no work to breed (like kribs) as killies can be a task to keep the eggs correctly, stop them fungusing etc.

Go kribs man, i have bred them heaps and they are awesome. you can interfere as much as you want, or you can just leave them too it.