Cyano Difficulties

Fmxmatt

There are no safe short cuts in this hobby. If your tank is going through the expected algae/cyno cycles, then let it and be patient.

red slime remover, vodka, and any other snake oil products are just patches, temporary solutions.

Keep siphoning it out, make sure your skimmer is working well, plenty of water changes etc and it will eventually go.

IMO, reef tanks take between 1-2 years to mature, and it's the wrong hobby if you don't have the patience to wait.

Yep, I have to agree that learning to just let things settle down and find equilibrium is essential. I think I was almost too attentive in the early days of my RSM - picking algae off, measuring Calcium and Salinity every 10 minutes, etc., etc., - when all I really needed to do was wait. It seems inevitable that things will go a bit astray every now and again, but so long as you cover the basics its seems that most things will self-resolve. Cyano is particularly irritating though. One last thing - have you changed your charcoal recently? I've taken to doing mine once a month and it seems to make a positive difference.

Overview

Cyanobacteria are photosynthetic algae closely related to bacteria. Cyanobacteria have a few different forms in the marine aquarium; dark blue/green, velvet red, and brown.

It is thought that cyanobactera are among one of the oldest known lifeforms on earth with some fossil records of up to 3.5MYA.

You may have seen on the news or first person that some parts of the ocean looking completely red, or blue green. These cyanobacteria blooms are a major problem for our environment, however they only happen when there is a huge nutrient resource for the cyanobacteria to grow.

It is not known why some aquaria have problems with cyanobacteria and others don't. While those that do often have high nutrient levels, many aquaria have cyanobacteria without elevated nutrients and other aquaria with elevated nutrients don't have problems.

It is generally not desirable to have Cyanobacteria in your aquarium as it is often unsightly and few organims eat it. It may continue to grow if the proper measures aren't taken to remove it. In newly setup aquariums its a common occurence.

There are a number of ways you need to attack the cause of the issue.

Removal Techniques

Reduce nutrient input - feed less. Cyano loves fish poo

Increasing water flow on the particular area that it is growing; It will find it harder grow in high current areas. Good flow is essential to any tank and often the existence of this Cyano is a sign.

Increase skimming; skimmers are often an effective way of removing some of it's nutrient sources. Prevents some of it's nutrient sources from growing due to the removal of Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOCs)

Reduce the amount of time the lights are on.

If you have no light dependant animals (photosynthetic), remove the light source completely until the bacteria appears to have subsided

Large water changes; removes the nutrient source. Preferably combined with:

Siphoning the cyanobacteria out. This is not recommended if you have a deep sand bed (DSB), however you can still syphon it off rocks etc.

Often a combination of a couple of methods is the quickest and most effective way of removing it.

Ok, so PO4 is now undetectable, and Nitrates are 2.5

What do I do to get my skimmer to skim more? (Deltec MCE600)

I'm not really too sure about the cup height and air tap. I always have the tap at 2 oclock and the cup height about 1/2 way up

For my MCE600:

I had mine a 2 oclock but I just have it fully open now.

For cup location mines about half way

Pretty sure there aren't any skimming improvement Mods you can do.

There are a couple of mods people have done for noise reduction though:

If you have an older skimmer it may have the black rubber bushes on the impellor shaft in the pump, these go loose over time. There is a kit you can get that has replacment bushes (better material) and some new strips for the bottom of the pump (vibratio reduction). Some people have just wraped the black bushes in thread tape and rubbertape around the pump housing and find it does the same job.

The other mod is to put an elbow and a bit of pipe on the outlet to reduce the splashing noise.

Do you remove and clean you pump often? I do this around every 3 months. Works better when pump not restricted

What do I do to get my skimmer to skim more? (Deltec MCE600)

I'm not really too sure about the cup height and air tap. I always have the tap at 2 oclock and the cup height about 1/2 way up

If you want it to skim more then you need a bigger skimmer, however it should be more than enough for you tank.

Skimmer dont take out everything so doing maybe weekly water change will help.

The skimmer tape should be at 2oclock and you can adjust the cup height to suit your needs, as you get less waste in the tank i would lower the cup.

You could also run some carbon which will remove things the skimmer cant.

Just make sure it does not over flow.

Cyno seems to be a problem at the moment due to the hot temperatures as i have also had a break out in my sump. But they could also be fuelled by the iron i am adding.

I will turn my lights off for 2-3 days and most will go.

i did the old lights out trick for a few days but found it to return, i'm now trying 1ml/100L of vodka for the week to see if that has any impact. I'm pretty sure the hot temps have contributed to this outbreak, plus i'm now feeding frozens for the sun coral....

i did the old lights out trick for a few days but found it to return, i'm now trying 1ml/100L of vodka for the week to see if that has any impact. I'm pretty sure the hot temps have contributed to this outbreak, plus i'm now feeding frozens for the sun coral....

Squirt a bit more 'filterstart' or something in there - it'll help metabolise the waste before the cyano can use it.