Jack Points/Plugs

danilada

Most of us have many tanks, how do you guys deal with plugs/points etc.

I have two plugs in my room, 1 plug powers 10 things then other 4.

Yes I know very unsafe and NO they aren't ALL plugged in at the same time. :wink:

I've been given the hard word from mum to get a surge board?

Some-thing that stops a fire? :o

Any-one have any tips or comments, and NO moving out isnt a option... yet! :lol:

What you really need to do is work out how many Amps of power you are using through the single plug, and compare that to the rating in your fuse box. If it is getting near the limit, you might have problems, but you can have 50 things running off one plug if they don't pull many amps each, or just one if it requires a lot.

If it isn't written on the heater etc., (and if my memory serves me right) you can take the Wattage (which will be written on everything) and devide that by 240 (Volts) to get Amperage. So a 100 Watt heater draws 0.41 Amps. Add them all up. If it comes to less than 10, you are fine. It might be worth PMing Zhaque (if he's allowed back on the site yet) - he knows about things electrical.

P=IV (Power = Amps x Voltage)

All of your devices should say how much power they consume (how many watts it is rated).

Then at any one time sum up the total number of watts and divide it by 240V (mains power).

This prob isn't that accurate but it should give you a rough idea.

For example a 100W heater on your tank would draw 100W/240V = ~0.42A But then again your heater won't be running constantly the whole time.

But yea the solution would be just to get a surge protector on the plugs which have lots of devices connected to them. It will pop out if the current gets too high, and if it pops out all the time then you're prob overloading the plug.

Yes I know very unsafe and NO they aren't ALL plugged in at the same time

Only unsafe if the wiring or multiboxes are damaged or worn out.

Like Conch says, you need to do a rough reckoning to estimate the total power draw of the devices. They will either have the wattage or amperage on each device. Things like heaters and lights are easy, a 200w heater draws - 200watts :wink:

A wall outlet will supply 240v x 10amps = 2400 w. So you could plug in 12 x 200w heaters and not overload anything.

Make sure your multibox has a circuit breaker (usually a little red button). If you try and draw more than 10A through it the breaker will open and cut the power off.

Surge protectors wont help you much, they are there to try and stop power spikes from the mains from blowing up your computer etc. They are only limited use for this though.

So check the wiring, makes sure nothing is getting warm or looking scorched. Tidy things up with some cable ties so it's not a mess of spagetti.

You should see my lounge :o 3 outlets and I think 8 multiboxes, 4 fish tanks, 4 computers and network gear, TV and stereo, and chargers for phones, cameras etc. But total max load would be less than 2,000 watts, so it's not a problem, apart from the amount of spagetti behind the furniture :-?

Cheers

Ian

Make sure your multibox has a circuit breaker (usually a little red button). If you try and draw more than 10A through it the breaker will open and cut the power off.

Surge protectors wont help you much, they are there to try and stop power spikes from the mains from blowing up your computer etc. They are only limited use for this though.

Hmm, I thought Surge protectors were the short cables you get with a test and reset button on the head. Like if you're water blasting and don't want to get electrocuted. Or are they called something else? Isn't that the same thing as the red button on a multi-board?

I only ask so I know I'm talking about the right thing. :lol:

You can have alot of things running off 1 circuit really before its over loaded, plugs rated for 10amps, circuit breaker controlling circuit is normally 16amp to 20amp and most things in your home dont draw alot of current. If you overload it its only going to blow the rewireable fuse or trip the circuit breaker.

Hmm, I thought Surge protectors were the short cables you get with a test and reset button on the head. Like if you're water blasting and don't want to get electrocuted. Or are they called something else? Isn't that the same thing as the red button on a multi-board?

Three different things.

A surge protector is often built into fancy multiboxes. If a high voltage comes into the multibox the electronics in the surge protector absorb the excess and hopefully stop your computer or stereo from blowing up. They can only handle relativly small spikes, a good lightning hit just blows them up along with whatever you are trying to protect.

A RCD breaker is the little gadget with the test and reset buttons. It works by monitoring how much current is flowing on the phase and neutral wires. If there is a difference it assumes there is a fault where current is flowing to earth, possibly through a person, so it cuts the power to prevent you getting electrocuted. A usefull thing to have if you are using power tools in a damp area etc.

A normal circuit breaker just works on current. If you try and draw too much current, it pops open and cuts you off. It's main purpose is to protect the wiring in case you get a short or connect too many devices and overload the circuit. You will be protected by the C/B in the multibox and also on your house distribution board. Or if you have an old house like mine you have fuses, but they do the same thing. They just take longer to reset :oops:

Cheers

Ian

Sparks may fly but it is best to be protected.

I have seen a few chaps with electrial burn injuries...not nice.

All my multi boxes have either an RCD and or a CB (I think).

I also try and only use multi boxes with switches.

This means you can leave things pluged in and not have to handle wet cords etc and can turn stuff of if you not using it.

It also means if you need to isolate one thing you can.

I write on the multi box which switch is doing what.

I always try to put a drip loop in teh cords and tying them and teh mulitboxes up outa the way helps to.

A little more expensive but might be the difference between losing a digit or a full cardic arrest and just a little spark flying.

Navarre