The best way to euthanase a sick/dying fish?

kd123

Sticking a tropical fish in the freezer is cruel, and should not be done. Put it in a plastic bag, and give it one hard hit on the concrete or something outside, to kill it instantly. That or stick a sharp knife or something through into its brain. You want to kill it as quickly as possible, so it doesn't suffer, as it would if you put it into the freezer

HTH

It has popeye. Was in one eye yesterday and now spreading to the other. The other females are now chasing it and it is sitting on the bottom with occasional dashes to the top for air.

I have suspected that all of the dwarf gouramis have had some sort of internal parasite but getting clear info on these has been difficult and then getting meds has been next to impossible. I have a call in to a vet (wont be returned until Monday now) for worming tabs but it is too far down the track for this one!!

I have had no end of trouble with these fish...so much for being an 'easy' species for a beginner!!

The quicker the death the better I reckon.I put them in a plastic bag and hit them on the head. One sharp blow and its all over. The first time I did it I wasn't too keen but it gets easier.

Certainly easier than watching a fish suffer for any length of time.

Went to net the fish which was sitting in the middle of an open space in the tank. The other females and male were no where to be seen when suddenly when I almost had her in the net the male came rushing past and pushed her to a corner behind plants and curled his body right around her. All the other females then appeared and did the same thing.... I went back 10 mins later and they were all still there and flaring their fins....scary....

Oh well i guess i can wait till morning and see what happens then.

in my opinion gourami are not a beginner fish. I also think the freezer method is probably the best.I have read that humans actually feel warm and cozy when they get close to death in freezing conditions, I think this is why they try to keep you awake under such circumstance, no one has died and lived to tell which is the best way to die which means this conversation is going nowhere,which means do it whichever way makes you feel less guilty.