Dispelling a myth!! Most fish DON'T get "pregnant"

Loopy

Many people out there seem to be confused about the terms to be used in regards to the state of their fertile females of many various species.

A simple definition of pregnant/pregnancy is

Pregnancy is the carrying of one or more offspring, known as a fetus or embryo, inside the uterus of a female

An embryo is a multicellular diploid eukaryote in its earliest stage of development, from the time of first cell division until birth, hatching, or germination. In humans, it is called an embryo from the moment of fertilisation until the end of the 8th week of gestational age, whereafter it is instead called a fetus.

A fetus is a developing mammal or other viviparous vertebrate, after the embryonic stage and before birth

Please note that an egg is not an embryo or fetus until it has been fertilised(sp?)

A livebearer (guppy, molly, swordtail, platty etc) may be labelled "pregnant"

Most other species of fish (and we can include axolotyls too) will generally be described as being "full of eggs". I am not confident in adding reptiles and frogs to this list as i don't know enough about their reproduction to comment.

SO "pregnant" = Daddy has done his job already!!

"Full of eggs" or "not pregnant" = Daddy has got work to do!!!

I am happy for anyone to elaborate or correct me in anyway (even my spelling :lol: ) Or ask questions!!! Ya gotta learn somehow!!!

yeah that term is used very commonly for live bearers too.

Gravid is the fishy way of saying pregnant.

Gravid is term used in biology to describe the condition of a female livebearing fish (or snakes) when carrying young internally.

*note* All my quotes are from wikipedia :hail:

*woot* yeah we could start a whole new thread for all the slang terms for being "knocked up" :lol:

But being the O.C.D freak that i have been accused of (not by anyone here though *yet* :wink: ) I find it hard to sit back and see people using the wrong word for something even if it is just because the right word is not know.

I don't even know if there is a proper scientific term or word for a female fish that is "full of eggs" !!

educate me!!! :hail::hail:

Then you have the term "ROE"... which comes in two forms...

Hard Roe.... The mass of eggs in a female fish's ovary

Soft Roe... The Milt of the male fish...

These terms are more often used by the commercial fish breeders... Salmon.. Trout... etc.

I would think that the greater percentage of eggs that are produced by the fish that we generally keep... are fertilized "after' being exspelled by the female.... so...

Loopy said:

Please note that an egg is not an embryo or fetus until it has been fertilised(sp?)

... noting that many female fish will lay eggs without the presence of the male..... and it needs "two" of a species (in the fish world).. to reproduce.

... accordingly... a female fish full of roe..(or eggs).. can "never be classed as pregnant...:)

... but the Livebearer species "can" in a sense be classed as "Pregnant"..

The term "Gravid"... is Latin :... Gravidus... meaning Pregnant... but really is more of a visual thing in the fish world, due to the stage of gestation that the female has reached.... usually... the darker she is at this point... the closer she is to giving birth.

Bill.

??

Egg-laying (either oviparous or ovoviviparous) animals are gravid.

The term "Gravid"... is Latin :... Gravidus... meaning Pregnant...

So i am right to think "gravid" is the same as "pregnant"??

in a general sense i am of the thinking that egglayers can't be pregnant? (self-doubt and confusion starting to kick in) :o

We can all run aroung saying "yay!!! my guppy is pregnant!!!"

The bit i puzzle over is if i got all excited and wanted to say "omg!! my angel is __________!!!!"...............full of eggs??? is there a word for this????? i have tried looking around for a word for this but haven't had any luck.

• 1 month later...

To clarify...

gravid

Being with child; heavy with young; pregnant; fruitful; as, a gravid uterus; gravid piety. " His gravid associate." .

Origin: L. Gravidus, fr. Gravis heavy, loaded. See Grave.

Source: Websters Dictionary

And...

pregnant

1. Being with young, as a female; having conceived; great with young; breeding; teeming; gravid; preparing to bring forth.