Leaf and twig litter?

Dixon1990

• 1 month later...

My ph need to drop a bit anyway because its supposed to be South american and most of the fish i have like a ph of below 7. It going to be in a 3foot tank with a cf1200 or fluval 404 and the filter intake will be 15cm or so above gravel. What type of leaves did you use?

I made sure I got dry leaves. Making sure they had no rot or mould on them. I put them in my tank and put a couple of stones on them. My fish had a field day eating the bugs which escaped.

If you put them in boiling water you could skim off any bugs you didnt want to let the fish eat, and the leaves will soak up the hot water quickly.

What is the purpose of putting leaves in your tank if they are just going to disintergrate??? :oops: :oops:

Caper

some catfishes and perhapes other fish like hiding in leaf litter. It is something that probably isn't thought about much. Not all fish come from a place with tidy gravel as their substrate.

And the decomposing matter can be a nice way to make a tank a bit more like home for them. Can alter the pH and give your water that nice brownish colour like wood that is leaching tannins.