Fish for our big pond

purplecatfish

We have a concrete pond which is in excess of 50,000L :o . As we can't have mosquitoes breeding in it I need to add several hundred fish of some sort :D . I also need to add some floating native plants. There is no current. At least 50% is shaded all day long. There is plenty of insect life.

What would you use? And why?

(Goldfish aren't an option as they don't eat the larvae when they're older.)

Brown trout can do really well in ponds as long as the pond is large enough. My dads cousin caught brown trout and put them in his pond, they are huge now. The pond was used to irrigate an orchard. Brown murky water. The trout loved it. You could feed them from the jetty.

Brown trout would be cool but would they ea mozzy larva?

Goldfish don't eat older larvae? Or older goldfish dont' eat larvae?

Large comets. We have a very large pond (bigger then our house) not sure of litres but we have heaps of goldfish and the biggest ones are just under 30cm in lenght. They seem to keep the bugs down.

Goldfish are actually a bad choice for mosquito control. Even though the health board recommends them, DOC recommends native fish as their studies show that goldfish are ineffective especially as the goldfish get older.

I'm thinking that danios or mountain minows would be a better choice compared to goldfish or trout, as they are a smaller fish which will prefer smaller meals (ie bugs). And they are also more likely to breed and create a self sustaining population, the hundreds of goldfish that were released a few years ago have died out even though there's plenty of bug life. I'd love to use natives but I'm not sure which ones would be best.

The pond is actually an old building that is set below ground level in a concrete pool type hole. Rainwater used to be pumped out but now it is disused. There is no current or circulation and it is only filled by rain water. During summer it drops to about 6 ft deep (you can just see the top of the door). There is a 2 metre gap between the building and the sides of the pond. And the building is permanently flooded, which creates shade for a fair portion of the surface.