Water temp for RES??

Mrs Frog

Okay so everywhere I read it says that res must be kept in warm water, my wee one is in 25 degrees. But I have noticed that he does not use his basking spot, which is easy to get too, bright and warm, the rest of the tank is not lit up at all, only his spot to encourage him to bask....but if his water is so warm and cosy for him, would he want to get out and bask?? Do turtles really need such warm water??

always keep my hatchlings up around 30,keeps their metabolism going and they eat more and seem to do better.If you can get your tank where the natural sunligt falls they seem to know and make a beeline for that spot when the sun hits it.They soon learn to come out under a normal light bulb for the warmth as well.

I keep mine at 25-26 which is what I hatch them at. But I have a heat lamp so their basking area will be a lot warmer than that.

hi alan

do you keep any to maturity, and if so what is your sex ratio?

i find running them at 30 degrees gives me a fairly even mix of males and females

at 30 i find they hatch around the 8 to 10 week mark

cheers mark