November 29, 200718 yr comment_198235 Well after all the tank inspecting with the whitespot and all, I've noticed quite a bit of crap (I'm guessing diatoms) on the sand inside the "caves" I guess you'd call it. (See Pic for idea of caves, theres heaps in the way i've set the rocks up) Since its inside the caves, I cant get my syphon in there. Question is, if I leave it, will it potentially become bad enough to cause a tank crash? I have been considering reaquascaping with the possibility of having to catch the sick fish, but didn't think i'd need to, but perhaps it may not be such a bad idea? Unless of course, the crap isn't going to be an issue? Cheers all Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198236 so you dont need a ro/di excellent chch water. your tank wont crash, cyno means you have nutrients in the tank. keep the tank clean and dont feed to much frozen foods, i would do weekly water changes and gravel syphon the substrate Report
November 29, 200718 yr Author comment_198237 That chch water joke is wearing pretty thin :-? Yeah I know its excess nutrients etc, I do plan on getting an RO unit after the silly season. Was just concerned it could cause problems down the track Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198238 it is not a joke. dont filtering your water will not help. No tap water is pure and has many nutrients, tds meter will tell you that. Report
November 29, 200718 yr Author comment_198239 Ok, so how bout another problem, say I decide to reaquascape anyway? It'll stir up crap. AFAIK, it could cause an increase in Nitrates, but is that it or are there other nasties that can be stirred up? Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198240 no problems stirring your tank, i do it weekly. cant see how stirring sand is going to give you nitrates, do a test. test nitrates before stirring and after, would be interesting. Report
November 29, 200718 yr Author comment_198241 I've read it somewhere on one of the forums I think. Always thought it was a possibility if theres stuff under the sand decaying? Might wait til the whitespot has gone then redo it. Fish and inverts will be fine in the tank while i do it? Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198244 I've read it somewhere on one of the forums I think. Always thought it was a possibility if theres stuff under the sand decaying? so what, its part of a ecosystem. will be used by organisms,. Having a new tank will mean you will still have low amount of bacteria and organisms to use some of the decay etc, just keep the tank clean and watch what you put in it. you are what you eat Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198246 one thing what you could try is. does some vodka, 1ml per litre, or leave your tank lights off for 2 days. still after that you have to solve the underlining problem of nutrients going into your tank or you will get it back. forgot to mention, dont feed any frozen foods until your tank is mature as they contain too much waste. only feed the fish once day, Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198248 Get a powerhead and blast all the crap out from under the rocks etc and then run some filter wool or something for a few days afterwards. It will help keep the caves clean. Also, dont have sand in places where you can't syphon and/or see. just put sand in the places you see to make it look good, but right in underneath the rocks etc, if you have sand it will just help trap the detritus. So yea, blast it out regularly, and then use some sort of mechanical filtration afterward to 'clean' the water Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198252 does some vodka, 1ml per litre I think you meant 1ml per 100 litre unless you meant dose it personaly via oral intake Report
November 29, 200718 yr Author comment_198254 Running filterwool already. I'm not worried about how it looks, you cant see it unless u've got a torch Was just worried it would cause problems Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198256 ohk, do you change the filterwool regularly? Best to. So yea, just blast the crap out (you could just grab one of the nano streams and give it a blast) and it should be fine Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198263 i got that to begin with i ajusted my pump so its blowing in a different direction and its fine now Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198292 As per Evilknievil, if you have a spare powerhead, hold it with your hand and blow all around in the rocks with it. Quite a surprising amount of crud will come out. Do this shortly before your waterchange and vacuum the sand when you do the waterchange. IMO you can never vacuum, and stir things up too much. It is not stirring things up for a long time, then doing it after there is a lot of crud built up, that can cause problems. But your tank looks fine at the moment, nowhere near the crash you mentioned. Report
November 29, 200718 yr Author comment_198299 Ok i'll get one of the nanostreams under the rocks next WC Speaking of nanostreams, the holding clip for my 6045 has snapped, and no amount of glueing/repairing seems to fix it for long. Anyone know where I can get replacement ones without having to buy a whole new unit? Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198301 Anyone know where I can get replacement The shop that you got it from should replace it. they might have to order the part in. Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198321 it will snap again if you get a new one... its a tunze design-fault- bout half of the people on here have snapped theirs Report
November 29, 200718 yr comment_198323 I have a brittle star that does a good job of eating / shifting / stirring random crud from under the rocks. There are a couple at O at the moment. Report
November 29, 200718 yr Author comment_198326 Ahh I'll ring John when he's in at 10. Wilson, were there any stars left? Damn keen on one or 2 of those Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.