My little baby eel and friends

yarimochi

I have a little baby eel which I don't know if its long or short finned. He is living with about 7 bullies which I think are common but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any pics of different bullies? I was wondering what my little eel and his bullies are going to eat? The eel is about 15cm long and the bullies are about 5cm.

TIA

This is my second baby. My first one succumed to the evils of the carpet fluff. :(:( They will get out of any hole. I have taken every step to ensure this one doesn't get out. You can find them in most streams that are clean. I went fishing in a stream by the road with a big pool net and I found lots of wildlife.

Good luck!

where can you get them from?

Most any stream will have some unless it's REAL polluted.

This one lives down the bottom of my garden. The neighbour has been feeding it raw chicken offcuts for years, so it's pretty tame. It's about 90cm long.

DSC02937s.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Yeah.. I was thinking of the ledgendary Western Springs Eels. The one in my picture is in Central Stratford, between my house and the sports field.

You might be surprised how many eels actually live around Auckland city, any little drain or stream that has permanant water probably has some living in it. They only need a couple of inches of water, and will actually travel quite a long way out of the water if they have to. You find them in farm ponds that are 100s of metres from any stream. They will travel overland through dew covered grass quite happily and live out of water for hours as long as they are damp.

One of the reasons they are such good escape artists, if they dont like where they are living in the wild, they will just climb out and head overland looking for someplace better. Not so good in your lounge, but if they made it to the lawn they would be off looking for a drain or swamp, and probably make it.

Cheers

Ian