guppys

andyman98

They are ordinary guppies andyman. Guppies are sometimes sold as 'cold water' but what it really means is guppies can tolerate room temperatures. If you have a well insulated house and the temp does not drop below about 18C you do not need to heat the tank.

I saw those guppies labelled as coldwater guppies at Jansens, they were also labelled as 'feeder guppies'. Their colours are not as intense, nor are the fins/tails as long, as the usual guppies.

I think you can produce those guppies from wild guppies with a few generations of breeding. They are probably more tolerant of the water temperature because they are closer to the wild ones.

If you want good guppies you have to keep the temperature constant.If the room you have them is stays stable and I wouldn't recomend lower than 20 degrees and if you want large tails on your fish at least 24 degrees.The drop rates for the females will slow the lower the temperature and probably dissapear at 15 degrees.Over the warmer months I have kept guppies and platties outside in green water with good results, but all you need is one cold night and the sudden drop in temperature will not be kind to your fish whether they die from the innitial drop in temperature or suffer some infection or stress as a result of the temperature drop.