November 14, 200718 yr comment_195027 Cool frog - we have one in a small outside pond/bog garden. Don't see it that often though and every time we go to get the camera to take a photo of it on a lily pad it disappears! We also want to get a tank with tadpole/frog for my fiances daughter for Christmas - that tank of yours looks perfect. Do you think it could be used for tadpoles initially or would we need a standard tank for that? Report
November 14, 200718 yr comment_195028 Have you tried kissing your frog, Wilson - you never know, it might turn into a Prince :lol: http://www.scribd.com/doc/12746/The-Fro ... ppy-ending Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195067 u know the tank you have is it just small stones that most poeple have in there fish tanks? Report
November 15, 200718 yr Author comment_195068 Sapphire it could be used like that but it wouldnt give the tadpoles much room i would get a small tank for them (even maybe a plastic one) Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195069 hey wilson could u tell me what you have in your set up like equpiment so i can get an idea of what i ahve to do please Report
November 15, 200718 yr Author comment_195091 tank is all i have you can get other stuff like waterfalls a fogger etc but i went simple with my set up i washed the substrate and bog wood with plants ive got some java fern and some wead that climbs on things and a bit of this mossy stuff that i found beside a near by creek Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195092 oh so u just haev the tank rocks a little bit of water in a bowl and driftwood and plants Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195102 thanks for all da help m8 il get u guyz sme pics wen i get a tank set up 4 frogs Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195120 Thanks Wilson Maybe I'll just stick the tadpoles in the outside pond and get a frog in a tank like yours! Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195134 heres a pic of my frog tank- btw I find frogs like to spend alot of time in the water, thats why the tank has 50/50 land/water ratio. and you asked what size worm? I'v never seen one thats to big. When I was younger I used to feed all kinds of things to the frogs- giant spiders, 3/4 sized snails, cat biscuits, even an adult skink that the cat killed. The only thing that they couldnt manage was a huge weta my brother gave them. (they did try though and they were lucky not to get seriously hurt) Btw I was a kid then I and I wouldnt feed them those things now.. Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195141 Nice pic ! how do you find the water - how often do you need to change it etc? I'm just wondering if there's any way to have some kind of removable system that still looks natural? Report
November 15, 200718 yr Author comment_195144 wow what plants do you have in there? ive been looking for some good plants Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195150 I've kept terraria in the past, and the best plants are those that have don't need lots of air circulation and don't mind being fairly damp all the time. In the frog tank they'll also need to be non toxic. Some of the best would be ferns such as rabbits foot fern, bird's nest fern and small Boston ferns or maybe button ferns - most of these you can get really cheaply as baby house plants at the nursery (or even supermarket). You could also try baby's tears - very small leaved creeper that looks a bit like moss. There are also things like philodendrons which will climb and can be trained. Spider plants are also very easy but do need a bit of light. If you have really low light peace lilys will be fine. Anyway - those are the ones I'm looking at to use! Report
November 15, 200718 yr Author comment_195151 yea i want mine to be fully planted once fully up and working Report
November 15, 200718 yr comment_195156 Theres about 10ltrs in there, I simply siphon the water out and replace it every few weeks. There are snails and daphnia in the water which seem to keep it pretty clean. the plants i planted are mondo grass, babies tears, moss, hen and chicken fern(it grows too big) and ladder fern which found its own way in. oh and some duck weed which looks really good with the babies tears. other plants iv had success with are- parlour palms, bromeliads(spineless ones), ferns.. pretty much any house plant that wont be damaged by frogs jumping on them grow well, but nearly all of them grow to big. the trick is to have a very low nutrient level - those plants are growing in pretty much nothing. Theres alot of very good information on building vivariums and paludariums on the web, do a google image search on 'vivarium' for inspiration. Report
November 17, 200718 yr comment_195522 neither, its hollow. The land side is made from a pice of polystyrene propped up on a couple of flower pots. I put some felt over the polystyrene and stones and driftwood on that. I put in about 3 handfuls of potting mix (one for each plant). Moss quickly grew on the felt which rotted away and the plants grew roots under the polystrene to get to water. In the past Iv used gravel with soil on top but I wouldnt go back to that because the plants grew too fast. Plus this tank is so lightwight I can easily lift it and carry it around without even emptying the water out. Report
November 18, 200718 yr comment_195682 heres a couple of pics of one of my set ups sorry about the quality Litoria ewingii in this one - tree frog Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.