October 25, 200718 yr comment_190613 Just wondering if anyone can help me. I think my goldfish are getting lazy. They seem to by lying on the bottom of the tank all day. When you walk up to the tank they start swimming again like they are fine and want to come and say hello. They have been doing it for a little while now. they are feeding fine and theres nothing wrong with water. done water changes and still they just lie there. They are pretty big and have large tails so I wondered if they were just getting old and heavy. I have had them for 4 years and in that time they have grown huge compared to thier original size. Report
October 25, 200718 yr comment_190614 How big and what size is the tank? How warm is it? They are certainly not old (assuming you bought them as young fry) as they can live 40+ years. Report
October 25, 200718 yr Author comment_190635 How big and what size is the tank? How warm is it? They are certainly not old (assuming you bought them as young fry) as they can live 40+ years. Yea I didnt think they were old. Big one is about 20cm other one about 10cm. Im thinking maybe they are just geting too big for the tank even though they do swim around and seem to have enough space. They were bout from a pet shop about 4-5cm long Report
October 26, 200718 yr Author comment_190889 You didn't say how big your tank is. Sorry I think its a 120L. I forgot how many Litres.it is. I have just purchased another female as I lost the female I had and was just left with two males. Since I have added the female they seem to have been better. maybe they were just grieving??? Report
October 28, 200718 yr comment_191165 120L is too small for them. They'll be better off in a much much bigger tank. Or better a pond. what sort of goldfish? Report
October 31, 200718 yr comment_192051 Yeah that does sound too small - especially if they're comets. Also, sometimes goldfish do that when they're cold - I'd check the temperature. (The cold won't hurt them but they try to conserve energy by slowing down.) When you say there's nothing wrong with the water, have you tested it? Things like raised ammonia and nitrite levels can cause bottom sitting too. Has the current in your tank changed recently? Fancy goldfish don't like a strong current, and can bottom-sit to avoid the 'treadmill'. Report
October 31, 200718 yr Author comment_192081 Thanks for all the help. They seem to be back to thier happy selves again. I added another fake plant and the female and they seem to be great. :lol: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.