6500k or 10000k

Bichon

It is a matter of personal choice and what works for you. Blue light---small K makes plants shorter and compact. Red light--- larger K makes plants rank and skinny. I use growlux (3500K) and soft white (2700k) as well as about 1/10 of the wattage in incandescent. It is what I used 30 years ago and the sun has not gone behind a cloud permanently---works for me. Others swear by daylight ---6500K. You pays your money and you takes your pick. Some of the salties might advise but I suspect 10000K is more for marines.

lol I've just started doing that tonight. Using a 6500k metal hallide bulb (400w). It's more the wattage than the lighting temperature (kelvin) that is important. 6500k gives a nice daylight look to everything. The lower numbers sound interesting too so might have to try those some day. Riccia needs a lot of light if it's on the bottom as it actually a floating plant.

If you put the growlux to the front it will make cardinals or neons look realy good as it enhances red and blue. As stated, it is the intensity of light that matters. Luke has 400 watts and I have 80 watts. You pays your money and takes your pick. With metal halides you pays your money and you keeps paying.

I have a 70cm high tank and am struggling to get light to the bottom and it kinda looks a bit shadowy down there? Any idea's for bulb's?? I've got a 10000k 20w and a 18000k 20w (T8's) at the moment. Tank is planted but I dont know a great deal about bulb's?

the people with halides though, they usually match the plants light needs with lots of nutrients and co2 AND they only have the lights on for about 10 hours!

17 hours a day isnt that natural is it? the founders of the dupla company kaspar horst and horrst e. kipper say that

"we should like to recommend 30 to 50 lumen per litre of water in the Optimum Aquarium....the recommended lighting time of 10 to 12 hours SHOULD NOT BE EXCEEDED as it disrupts the natural bio-rhythm of the tank..."

and having the lighting on for fewer hours means that they last longer too!

I have a 70cm high tank and am struggling to get light to the bottom and it kinda looks a bit shadowy down there? Any idea's for bulb's?? I've got a 10000k 20w and a 18000k 20w (T8's) at the moment. Tank is planted but I dont know a great deal about bulb's?

I think you will struggle to get good light at 700mm, even with MH the light penetration for good plant growth on the bottom may not reach down that far.

500 - 600mm seems to be the prefered depth.

Even marine tanks with their 250w and even 400w Metal Halides are usually around 600mm in depth.

As *Luke said, the wattage of the light determines how much light you will get, the Kelvin Temperature determines the colour of the light.

As *Luke said, the wattage of the light determines how much light you will get, the Kelvin Temperature determines the colour of the light.

You pretty much answered what I was trying to ask?! :oops: Ha ha

I do get ok light at the bottom and plant's are growing well, nut just dont get that "brightness" I'm looking for. I'll have a play around with some different type's of bulb's I think?!

Flourescents give an even light across the length of the tube, it is quite a 'bland' effect (can you tell I hate flourescent light fittings in kitchens?!)

Metal Halides, give a more directional light, so if you have no intricate or large diffuser - such as a Lumenarc diffusers, which are 400mm square - behind the lamp, the brightest area will be directly under where the lamp burns, and the brightness will taper out towards the edges.

Metal Halides also give a nice 'movement' or 'play of light' on the plants and substrate of the tank if you agitate the surface of the water.

the wattage doesn't determine how much light you'll get. the watt per litre rule has become incorrect due to different kinds of lighting. 'lumen' is used to indicate the greatest light strength of all lighting methods.

watts are only really important when ligthing methods are being installed, since it shows economy and effectivity. e.g. metal halide lamps tend to have 75 lumen per watt, lumilux fluororescent lamps have 95 lumen per watt.

i believe the t5 HO lifegro 36w has approx 76 lumen per watt.

As *Luke said, the wattage of the light determines how much light you will get,

another example a normal incandescent light bulb of say 150w. a lot of that wattage is actually converted into heat. therefore clearly it is the lumen which are important. but at the end of the day it all comes down to what plants you wish to grow, researching their requirements and then growing them. if your tank is 700mm then you could try maybe floating plants or plants attached to driftwood like anubias and java fern. most metal halide lamps can be used for tanks up to 100cm deep without any problem. the reason why so many reefers go for tanks 60cm or less it because their corals need extremely high lumen for zooxanthellae to grow and having a shorter tank means that they can keep such specimens, the lighting needs of these corals enormously surpass those of most plants.

One day we will be able to buy lamps that have PUR (photosynthetic usable radiation) ratings in order to work out which is best for us.

Wattage, colour temp and relative spectrum graphs don't give us the best information to make our judgements.

The colour temp is a rating based on our eyes which have a peak in the green. Plants however are interested in the red and blue parts of the spectrum, which is why the best plant bulbs appear purple.