6500k or 10000k

Bichon

Should also mention here that the '18000K PowerGlo' is a 6500k tube (or close to it, something like 6700K according to their data) and it has peaks at the appropriate colour points for chlorphyl use in plants.

Sorry I can't remember the terminology properly.

Don't know why they call it 18000 kelvins, its definately not. Possibly because of the purple it gives off when you look directly at them. Much better for plant growth than a standard 6500K tube.

*edit: completely 100% agree with what purplefish said above

So where is the cheapest place to buy growlux, Powerglo and other tubes.

Planning on building a 4 foot light hood that is going to take 3 or 4 4 foot t12 light. I figure I can use one of each, then I'll be covering all bases.

I got 11 industrail light fittings for $1.00, so I'll make use of them.

So where is the cheapest place to buy growlux, Powerglo and other tubes.

Planning on building a 4 foot light hood that is going to take 3 or 4 4 foot t12 light. I figure I can use one of each, then I'll be covering all bases.

I got 11 industrail light fittings for $1.00, so I'll make use of them.

I get my tubes from the local electrical wholesalers, $4 for a large tube in 6500k

But they wont have the spikes at the wavelengths used by chloryphyll (spelling?). Using industrial 6500K gave me more algae and less growth. PowerGlo etc or purple glow lamps are much better for growing plants as they have much higher output in red and blue wavelengths.

A $4 6500K tube is not the same as a PowerGlo or GrowLux for plants.

Only place that stocks them normally is pet stores, and they vary in price, think around $20?. If you're not growing plants then just get the $4-8 versions from your wholesaler as HanS mentions.

Definately don't use T12 though :o:o offers the least intense light and tubes are huge.

Shops selling hydroponic equipment (mary jane's friend) normally stock growlux as well. There are a number of brands similar to growlux with different names but similar prices. Everyone to their own but I find a growlux and a soft white works better than straight growlux. Others prefer daylight (6500K) but I doubt that 10000K will do the job.