Jewel Cichlid Breeding.

noxious

Ok for starters im new to this so I'm still learning and researching about fish etc,...

I have a breeding pair of Jewel cichlids, but the problem I have is that after the eggs are laid, about 2-3days later, the eggs are gone and there are no babies.. anyone know why? am I doing something wrong?

The parents have probably eaten them. They do that sometimes until they get the idea. They will often do better if there are other fish to guard the young from. It would need to be a big tank as they can get pretty agro when breeding so there would need to be places for the other fish to hide or they will go to fish heaven very rapidly. They are a lovely fish but very large and agro so hard to sell. I only bred them the once. Feed the parents well and see what happens.

:D Often many cichlids will dig another spot for their babies to pile into once they have hatched and are free swimming... my Jack Dempseys and Chocolate Cichlids etc do that, the main spawning nest dug, then they would shift the babies on to another location... sounds like your Jewels have tucked them away in a safer spot.

:D Often many cichlids will dig another spot for their babies to pile into once they have hatched and are free swimming... my Jack Dempseys and Chocolate Cichlids etc do that, the main spawning nest dug, then they would shift the babies on to another location... sounds like your Jewels have tucked them away in a safer spot.

Well done!! thats just what ours did, now we have wee pin head size babys! and mum and dad still guarding them feircly!!

Hi There

I have been breeding these little blighters for about a year now.

When they Jewels are new parents they move their young uns around quite a bit.

Especially good at this when fry are small or with freshly laid eggs.

One pair even lay eggs on the top of a rock them move them several times and in stages untill all eggs are under a rock at the other end of the tank. This can take several days.

Good luck with your babies

Navarre

Depends on how good they are as parents, both or one of the pair could pick them off, or they could be really good parents. The jewel pair we bred were good parents, alot do make great parents. Just a case of wait and see 8) I have a pair of lionheads that are excellent parents, not one baby has been picked off, and they are still in with mum and dad... and they are at least an inch plus now... and mum and dad still very protective, oh also pays to keep the parents well fed so hunger doesn't tempt them to have a nosh up.. that can happen sometimes if they feel they aren't getting enough food.

• 3 weeks later...