How long do test kits last for

Steves Killies

As mentioned in the title,im wondering if anyone has any idea how long the liquid ingedients in test kits remain active for?eg pH or NO2...etc

Do they have any kind of timeframe before tests become inactive or inaccurate?

I got a unused one that came with a tank but not sure how old it is.Cant find a used by date on it.Will do tests,so may get answers then,but still wondered if anyone could help with my question?

Cheers in advance

Happy fish keeping 8)

I had an ammonia kit that was supposed to be good till 2008. Bought more than a year ago. Once I used up my other kit, I started testing my tanks with this one. Ammonia was up. Numerous water changes, no change in readings. So one day did a 50% change in one of the tanks, when tested, ammonia was higher. I thought that is insane! Went and bought a new test kit, things were fine!

Caper

pH tests are fine for years. Our club did an experiment once. We got an expensive, calibrated pH test meter then asked members to bring containers of tank water, tap water and any pH test kits they had. We then tested all to see what range of pH we had in our tanks and whether the differing test kits gave different results.

Interestingly enough, all the kits read the same and matched the expensive electronic meter. Some of the tests kits were brand new and some were many years old.

What about the electronic pH meters?Has any one had exerience with these?So long as it stays calibrtaed correctly,it would take away the need to test with chemicals,hassle etc.(Not that to say its a hassle making sure your water parameters are ok for your fish ofcourse). Ive got a water hardness and salinity electronic meter which is soo convenient,does temp too.

What about the electronic pH meters?Has any one had exerience with these?So long as it stays calibrtaed correctly,it would take away the need to test with chemicals,hassle etc.(Not that to say its a hassle making sure your water parameters are ok for your fish ofcourse). Ive got a water hardness and salinity electronic meter which is soo convenient,does temp too.

Keeping them callibrated is the problem - those that work by electrical impedance through the water are very accurate, but the probes don't last long and are expensive to replace. Basic chemical reagents are accurate enough for what most people do.

Hi All.

"TDS" stands for "Total Dissolved Solids".

This is a new method of testing the quality of water, but is mainly European so far.

It works on the principle that "PURE WATER" has zero solids or impurities, which means that it is a very poor conductor of electricity, thereby giving you a reading of zero.

As it is an electrical measure, the results are in "MICROSIEMENS". :wink:

The measure is a lot more accurate: a bit like inches and millimeters, you get a finer reading.

:bow:

Hi All.

"TDS" stands for "Total Dissolved Solids".

This is a new method of testing the quality of water, but is mainly European so far.

It works on the principle that "PURE WATER" has zero solids or impurities, which means that it is a very poor conductor of electricity, thereby giving you a reading of zero.

As it is an electrical measure, the results are in "MICROSIEMENS". :wink:

The measure is a lot more accurate: a bit like inches and millimeters, you get a finer reading.

:bow:

TDS meters for fish tanks have been round for ages, they are used to check the effectiveness of DI resins etc. Have one at work (Pen type) must be going on 10 years old- still works well

I got the PH meter second hand and the solution was to stick the probe in and then adjust the meter to read the value that the solution was supposed to be.. If I got some water measured its PH and then stuck the meter in the water set it to that value surely im achieving the same thing?