killiefish q's

cichlidmad

• 1 month later...

id reccomend looking on trademe at the killies for sale, or even visiting killie keepers and having a look at the species available and pick which specie you like.

No matter what killie you get if you have any problems just ask away on here, there are many people to help out.

they are very easy to breed aswell, im having more luck with my killies breeding than i am with my guppies. They just require a little bit of effort and equipment.

When i started my killies only lived on flake and i had low breeding success, they now get flake, micro worms, white worms and brine shrimp and now i only pick the mops weekly because i get so many eggs, i think the record is about 30 eggs from one pair.

one of the exciteing things about the Nothos are that when you finally wet the peat, within hours your taking fry out. To see the fry just appareing from "dirt" I find really rewarding

Im sure that if you were also to PM ej from these forums, he may be able to help with eggs from Nothos

i definatley think the killies that lay in peat are far more interesting. My hope was to have just 1 true strain in a seperate tank from my community tank. Not to get too many (to start :) ). My dad's keen for me to get some as he did have them many years ago. Im sure i am not going to be breeding to sell tho. As my WCMM havn't even looked at multiplying in the 3 years i've had them. :roll: my fish are purely for asthetic enjoyment :wink: .

If you only want to look at them you could get a selection of males only.

Thought about that but everywhere you go there are always males. (good looking i guess) i'm one for the underdog. i would choose all girls over all boys. but by keeping a pair they might just want to have some fun. :wink: