Snail eaters

paekakboyz

Hi All,

Not sure if this thread is in the right spot (maybe belongs in catfish?) but I wanted to get a bit more info about fish that eat snails...

I know clown loaches enjoy escargot but I don't really want to add any of them to my tank - I'd like to put together a list of known snail hunters and then make my selection from there.

thanks!

The only thing I know eat snails are large cichlids - especially Oscars and the like. They'll eat everything else that they can get into their mouths too. Other than loaches, some larger Plecs are the only fish I know will eat eggs, but usually as a bit of a 'by-catch' when eating surrounding algae. I suspect they don't taste so good.

I have a very special snail eater.. it's called Stainless-steelus Tweezerus the very long type ;) !! and whenever it spots a snail it reaches across and grabs it, . squishes it and that's the end of that.

Seriously though... do snail traps work? I see them for sale on trade me.. says they can get in and can't get out. Sounds good to me! I mean once all your snails are gone and if yuo're careful they csholdn't come back again if you treat new plants etc...

There are other loaches that eat snails but dont grow as big as the clowns. I have some zebra loaches that are small (4" max) and peacefull, great for a community tank.

They might not eradicate the snails, but between them taking out the little ones they come across and the Stainless-steelus Tweezerus to take out any big ones you see, you can control them well enough.

Cheers

Ian

Mine came from an army surplus store years ago! But I've seen them around.. maybe on trademe?

Mine are about 15-20cm long at a guess. I still have to reach in but they're helpful even in catching very small ones. Everytime I see one I grab it. I figure if I keep at it I'll get there eventually :)

I've seen them on US websites with tools for aquascaping but I'll poke around later tonight and see if I can spot some for sale somewhere here. Dunno if a chemist would have some (for fiddling with wound dressings etc.)? They're really handy for other things too like planting and pulling off dead leaves etc :)

(ps: mine have a wide'ish blunt end.. not like the ones for pulling splinters!)