Asian Arowana

Silvia-15

was at hollywoods today and saw their 2 asian aros... 2 grand? for those? i must say its quite a rip, they show less colour than silvers! maybe its just me, or maybe they are meant colour that way but by no means do i think its worth it paying 2k for a differently shaped silver aro... i know before it was gonna be low grade and all, but didnt think it was gonna be THAT low... at least, its not deformed or anything :P

have anyone else seen them? if so, what do you guys think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do colour up as they get larger, and that price is about right for a lower grade red. Its a darn site cheaper than the RTG's Jansens got in a few years ago!!

What makes you say its a rip? They're not exactly easy to breed, and they're a CITES1 endangered species, meaning you have to be able to prove the ones being sold are F2 captive bred. They are all individually numbered and microchipped for authenticity, I don't see many other breeders having to do that with any other fish...

to be honest, im just making my self better because i cannot afford one. id have one anyday! :D

Heh, I'm in the same boat. I actually went out and impule-bought a silver seems how I'll never be spending $2k on an asian and I've not seen a black for sale for years!!

Gannet there's no such thing as amazon red, just silver and black (and the occasional black silver). Yound silvers do have red-ish fins, but it fades as they grow.

Gannet there's no such thing as amazon red, just silver and black (and the occasional black silver). Yound silvers do have red-ish fins, but it fades as they grow.

have seen some amazon aros called red tailed arowana on some sites

they had red tails and fins and red edge on scales on flanks of body

the red is not brilliant red like the asians though

have seen some amazon aros called red tailed arowana on some sites they had red tails and fins and red edge on scales on flanks of body the red is not brilliant red like the asians though

They can call it what they like, its still just a silver aro. There are only two south american species, Osteoglossum bichirrosum and O. ferrari. :)

asian arowana goes from $100 to $100,000+ in asia.

in hong kong i've seen A grade fish for $1500, walk down the road you can see another A grade same size, same breed for $2500. it all depends on the fish

i'm no expert on it and i dont know how low grade these reds are but they still looks pretty to me

and like david said they are endangered species and guess there must be some paper work to be done and no other importer is willing to bring them in, I guess he can charge really anything he wants for them since there is a queue of people wanting them :lol:

p.s congrats on the silver david

why are they endangered if there are THOUSANDs of people breeding it?? i mean, i can see why a panda is endangered, when theres like 50 of them (probably a horrible guess)....

Their status as an endangered species has nothing to do with captive bred ones, or how commonly available they are in the hobby, its about their numbers in habitat.