Microworms....

rollergirl

Just bought a microworm culture off T/M for my Bolivian Fry. I didn't realise it would take a week to get the culture going! I mixed up a batch of yeasty goodies last night and poured the culture over it, and this morning did notice some of the worms crawling up the side, which I assume is a good sign.

Now my fry just became free swimming overnight, so I've gone to feed them some of the microworms this morning, however I'm having issues actually getting them TO the fry, as they're down at the bottom of the tank still being guarded by their parents (so funny, they'll try and swim away from the little pit and mum will pick them up and spit them back into it). What I'm doing is scraping some worms off the side of the container with my finger and dipping into water but by the time I get my finger anywhere near the fry the worms have all been swept away by the current and into the filter most likely, never to be seen again. :( How do I get the food to the hungry little guys? The tank is 30cm in depth so not particularly deep...

Can you suck some up with an eye dropper and squeeze them directly onto the fry?

Just tried this and turned filter off as well.. There aren't really enough microworms in the culture yet though, and the fry don't seem to be interested in eating the ones I did get into the tank? Weird. I'll just have to stick with liquid fry food I guess... :-?

Use an upturned jar lid to catch the microworms and maybe they will eat at their leisure later while you aren't looking? The sides of the lid will help the food not get swept away (depending on how powerful your filter is) and make it easier to clean up the remains later.

Yep, got some of these to try out at next feeding time (7pm) I did hear they were a bit big for the mouths of ram fry at first but can only try. Mum and dad will go for them if the babies don't I'm sure!

It depends upon the species of shrimp, but my baby Blue Rams ate the JBL (Francisco? variety) Artemia no probs.

It depends upon the species of shrimp, but my baby Blue Rams ate the JBL (Francisco? variety) Artemia no probs.

That's the one I've got, they look pretty small to me too, so fingers x'd, I really do want them starting out on live food if at all possible. Question-I only have one hatchery set up at this stage as I don't have a spare air pump, but will the hatched shrimp survive in their brine solution for 24 hours?? (if it's kept aerated?)

That's the one I've got, they look pretty small to me too, so fingers x'd, I really do want them starting out on live food if at all possible. Question-I only have one hatchery set up at this stage as I don't have a spare air pump, but will the hatched shrimp survive in their brine solution for 24 hours?? (if it's kept aerated?)

Yes, but the nutritional value drops dramically - you want the fry to eat the baby shrimp whilst the baby shrimp still have egg-sacs - that is absorbed in just a few hours. Even so, if it gets the fry eating, that it is still worthwhile. Good luck!

Cool thanks guys :D Most of the fry seemed pretty keen on the brine shrimp which is great, obviously they are small enough to fit in their mouths! Ended up finding an ancient air pump which I thought had stopped working, got it going and now have another hatchery setup so as to have a constant fresh supply. (I feel like my whole lounge is now solely focused on reproduction though-what with the 2 shrimp hatcheries, microworm cultures, horny guppies and platies and heaps of ram fry...I've developed a headache just thinking about it lol :lol: )

And ta alanmin for the microworms tip-I've got a turkey baster type thingy which i guess is the same sort of device as what you're talking about. I'll try it for the morning feed :D