Please for the love of god HELP !

gex

Arghhhhhhh ! Help !!! My mums red-eyed puffer fish burnt its self on its heater (god knows how or why) and we dont kno what to do for it, the fish is about 6cm long and the burn mark/hole thingy is about 4-7mm. The puffer is breathing really heavly and really isnt looking good. PLEASE post if you can help or email [email protected]. Thanks.

Is it possible it got stuck between the heater and the tank? If so, make sure it can't happen again. I know little about puffers and remedies but would suggest some Stresscoat. I think this is the product that helps produce a protective slime coating on fish.

I agree with Caryl. Stresscoat is the best sort of thing. How is the puffer doing??? This sadly happens quite often and is something we do not think about until the burn happens. I hope your Mum's puffer is not too badly burnt and pulls through. Fins crossed.

heater guards, quarrentine, and melafix (dosed to package directions) and he'll be right in no time.

a fish of mine once got scorched by a heater and a few other fish started eating him, starting at the burnt bit - quarrentine is useful for sick fish.

in consideration of the heater - the heater guards stop the fishies sitting next to the glass of the heater and getting roasted however most of the time i have noticed that fish hide there because it is a nice secluded place. as a result when i set up a heater i place it so that my filters push water across them - makes the water around the heater turbulent and therefore a much less sheltered place for fish to hide. definately go with the heater guard though. definately...

melafix is a melaleuca (tea tree oil) based solution (1% melaleuca). It is a herbal-type remedy that (in humans) works to kill bacteria, sooth and aid in the healing process.

Some clever person thought of adding it to fish tanks, found that it works, and melafix is a dilute solution designed for that very purpose.

the propoganda states that it helps fish heal up to 5 times faster, i have not cared to make the comparison, however comparing similar cases in my own fish i have found it to help heal what would otherwise (without medication) be terminal ailments.

you can also make it yourself and get 'pond strength' stuff if you have larger tanks or a need for an ongoing supply.

i have had my tank double-dosed (due to plants) for about 3 weeks now to no ill effect.

60L tank

15ml of MelaFix per day, no water changes ever.

tank contains guppies and fry (still breeding), bristlenose, khulis, cardinal tetras, black widow tetras, glowlight tetras, and a few others.

now, it could be the plants rendering it ineffective or something else.

as with all medication, if unsure - don't use it. i would hate to say 'no, go ahead' and have your fish die off.

as far as methlyene blue goes - the asthetic downside to it is that it can stain the seals in your tank blue. i have a tank that was used with it about 10 years ago and the seals still have blue patches in them.

solution: use MB in a quarantine tank :)