Uninterupted Power Supply??

Goldie

Most UPS have spike protection built in so no need to buy.

Batteries do need replacing, 30 cycles / 5 or 10 years - depends which comes first...

You can get 5,10 and 20 year design life batteries which in most applications last about 1/2 the stated life due to partial cycling.

If the battery was kept at constant 20'C and inactive float with no discharge cycles it should last the stated lifetime.

warren - can you still get hold of UPS' that you could perhaps sell to hobbyists here? maybe you could make a buck or two :D

i might see if i can nab one from work, mainly to keep the heater going incase the temperature drops and maybe to maintain a bitta water flow. gets a bit chilly here some nights and the temperature can drop pretty fast and pretty low!

there you go again ira, post without thinking.

It depends what size VA UPS you get and the size of your tank (thus size of your heater). Heaters have thermostats so it doesnt mean its on all the time does it? The heater may only need to come on for a short period it bring the tanks heat back to normal so its not necessarily constantly chewing up the battery.

We sell UPSs. We usually suggest a small one for short power cuts only to keep the filters going. This is aimed at the average fishkeeper only, with a small community tank. Those who have invested thousands in their set-ups should consider spending whatever is necessary on a larger one to keep everything going as long as possible.

Of course it won't be on all the time and of course it depends on the size of your ups. It doesn't change the fact you're going to quickly burn up the UPS and end up with no power, no heating, no filtration much quicker.

It was a cold day, a wet day, a day when all you want to do is curl up in front of the fire, a day when you envy those happy go-lucky fish in their warm jackets of water, continually heated and with no fear of freezing they swim, swim and play.

You look up and smile as you watch the Angels complete the course around the rocks in a perfect synchronised manoeuvre that any air-force would award their jet fighters with the highest praise for their skill, then without a blink, no warnings, no sirens that were promised to let us know to take shelter from impending doom, the lights go out, the TV dies…

…and you simply say to yourself not again, why, why do they have these power cuts on these coldest days? The lights are out! Oh no the poor fish… how are they… you go and take a good look in, yes they are in darkness so you pull the curtain open a bit more to let in a bit more light, you check all the equipment, yes it’s all working, the heater is on, the filters are filtering, and the air lift is lifting.

Your only concern now is that the power will come back on within the next hour, these power cuts never last over an hour you think to yourself, you look down and say to yourself, ‘I’m glad I brought that Power UPS when I didâ€.

A true story.

Ok perhaps not so dramatic, but true never-the-less

My UPS has saved my bacon (pig fish?) a few times. As stated I only run mine for the 1 return pump, nothing else is important to me.

Chimera - I would not reccomend running a heater on a UPS, even if it was a massive UPS.

o2 and not flooding my sump are whats important to me.

Many people in the USA suggest that Battry powered aip pumps are key to surviving a power cut, if you need to heat the tank, a GAS heater can do this for ya. Sounds like good advice to me.

I can also get UPS at wholesale prices, or you can make your own, if your that way inclined. battries for UPS are not expensive. I would look around 2nd hand.

Pieman.

Woah, the power cuts seem a bit of a problem over there in winter, i suppose i should feel lucky, we don't get too many power cuts over here, we sometimes get them in big storms, but we don't get more than 2-3 a year!