New Simpsonichthys killifish

carla

Brazilian scientists have described a new species of seasonal killifish from the swamps of the upper São Francisco River drainage in central Brazil.

The new species, named Simpsonichthys punctulatus after the rows of blue dots on the flanks of the males (from the Latin punctum, meaning a small spot), is described in a paper by Wilson Costa and Gilberto Brasil published in the latest issue of the journal Vertebrate Zoology.

More: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1334

I assure you I do check him for spots as well zev. And are you implying my shower isn't as clean as it might be? I know I don't do housework if I can possibly avoid it but I have been known to clean the bathroom on occasion :lol:

I Googled for a pic of the fish and it is a nice looking specimen.

Annual killies are the ones that live for a short period of time, and during that time breed hard out into the substrate (in an aquarium they are bred in peat) before the dry season comes and the lakes dry out and all the fish die, but when it rains again in a few months time all the eggs in the peat hatch, and grow, then the cycle starts again....

Non-annuals live like your average fish, and they will breed and their eggs will hatch within 10-14 days.

then theres semi-annuals, and as carla said perennials, which im not too sure on :lol: