AW article re water changes

Caryl

I have received the following comment from barrie after he read my article in the Aug Aquarium World about using the scrapers from the $2 Shop for cleaning aquarium glass...

"as a glazier, the hard scrapers that you show in the AW mag bring me more business than storms do every year. Whereas scrapers are needed at times, the razor blade with a hard back are far better (and a lot cheaper) as the type that you have shown are far too strong and scratch the glass very easily."

I am not sure what he means by 'blades with hard backs' so will wait for a reply. I have been using these scrapers for years with no problems but am careful not to get gravel or sand under them or they will scratch - but then, so would anything!

Look forward to a fuller explanation please Barrie and maybe pics if you have them.

What do the rest of you use?

Thats the one Wok

the top photo

thanks as it saves me a bit of photo work

Beware of the plastic type scrapers as to be honest, the use of them by people, especially comercial cleaners, is worth more to my bussiness every year than storm damage.

the problem with them is that they have a blade that is so strong that when they get damages with even the smallest nic or bump, the blades are so strong that they scratch the glass.

The razor blade type as per the top photo in Woks photo is by far the best as they are a lot sharper and will clean a lot easier and the blades are thiner and therefore not as strong so they will bend around any dents/nics.

I hope this is not taken as being critical of the artical, it isnt I assure you but is meant to help you keep your tanks (or any other glass) in better condition.

The first plan of attack must always be for soft pads but if all else fails and as a last resort, if you relly need to, use a razor stiff back blade

I never took it as a criticism of the article Barrie, I took it as a helpful tip and good feedback. :bow:

People need to know these things and if one thing is considered better than another, by a professional who knows, then we need to hear about it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention 8)

A lot of people swear by credit cards, especially for getting off those hard green dot algae bits.

credit cards are good but they dont remove all the build up andin order to stop rapid regrowth, you should use a scrubber of some sort

Glass is not quite as smooth as most people think and the minute holes on the glass's surface allow "things" to get a foot hold.

If you have a glass shower, it needs to be squeeged after every time its used and that allows a build up of white lime on the surface.

Not quite the same in a tank as the water never evaperates to allow the lime to build up. I have a product that we use but things like RainX for car windscreens are great on a new shower... note SHOWER not tanks.

I would recomend giving it (the tank) a scrub every week with a scrubber of some sort although in breeding tanks, I think a certian amount of build up is usefull.

I have an old card I use too.:) Works perfectly, haven't run into anything it won't take off.

I'd imagine the perfect one would be an icescraper for car windows. Usually have a softish copper blade that won't scratch glass. But, won't find many of them around NZ>