SALTWATER WEB SITE UPDATE

reef

FNZAS i looking at updating the site soon and they might redo the saltwater section due to the ever increasing membership.

What sections do you think we should have? Keep in mind that the Reef scene in NZ is very small and having to many sections is a waste of time as they hardly get used and 10% of member’s post 90% of the posts.

FNZAS has over 2500 members and only about 10% would be posting in the saltwater section.

I am in favour of a steam line version of reef central and FNZAS has a big advantage as they could combine some sections with freshwater like DIY.

Not sure myself what sections to have.

Any ideas? what would make this site even better?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's no need to change anything as there are no longer enough posts to justify more than one category for saltwater here.

What's the point? Is someone going to get lost with the 3-4 updated threads on a good day? Or maybe so active threads don't get run off to the second page because if you blink a month and a half will go by before you know it?

I still don't think that justifies cutting one very slow category into half a dozen absolutely dead categories.

Same for many sites.

That is why i was thinking not to have too many sections.

The freshwater section does not have many posts in some sections.

but how many of those 2500 are still active members on this site? just look at the drop in postings in the last 6 month! most posts are done by just a few these days. don't thing its worth splitting up at present. its ok in other forums that have quite a few more posts per day but as ira says there is very limited activity on this saltwater forum at the moment.

trade and exchange would be one i think is suitable because one seems to miss the one in fifty salty sale due to the sales being mainly fresh water. so separating frsh from salt more is not a bad idea, but would not merge any like DIY because of different "needs" in either salt or fresh water.

technical/diy

Could the technical/equipment not be combined in reefs? could change the name of reefs to cover this.

The DIY section does not get many posts to justify a section just for saltwater.

My thoughts are to reduce sections and make it stream line as you will see that the other minor sites dont have much activity in these sections also.

Keep the ideas coming as it will be helpful for FNZAS when updating the site.

would like to see one for trade and exchange or wanting to buy,

Would private trade and exchange not cover this for second hand goods.

I think linking to trademe is a good idea. Could ask trade me to open a marine section so FNZAS could link to it for non commercial members.

I suspect they don't particularly care.

They just post there because they were pestered to by some people. Some might say that's a sign that there is a deficit of expertise over there.

As far as the best local forum, fnzas goes, I'm in favor of starting off with a few separations, and then add more as the need arises.

Maybe

• Starting Out

• Reef Discussion

• Chemistry

• Think Tank (Advance Topics)

• Marine T/E (subforum of general T/E)

• Separate Sponsors forums (may help keep discussions contained)

Layton

I would like to correct the initial statement made that there are over 2500 members in the FNZAS. There are not! There are over 2500 members to this site - which happens to belong to the FNZAS.

Registering on this site does not make a person a member of the FNZAS

I doubt very much the saltwater section will be split into categories any time soon. Not enough traffic in it.

I suspect they don't particularly care.

They just post there because they were pestered to by some people. Some might say that's a sign that there is a deficit of expertise over there.

Layton

Thats a bit snobbish, don't you think Layton? Instead of picking sides people should accept there are benefits to all the marine sites in NZ. It can only help the hobby more than hinder it...

Agreed I don’t like this “us and them†mentality, I don’t want to start feeling like a jerk or something just cos of which site I post on. We are all in this together I have very good buddies who post on one, other, or both sites.

Also if a splitting of threads happens I don't think there should be a "beginner" section, the line is too blurred between the two. Also I'd hate to imagine what an "expert" section would be like I can imagine it being dominated by one particular person with very strong opinions and nobody else would get a look in. :o

Keep on topic as just trying to put some ideas forward; don’t turn the thread into an ego trip.

Already many positive comments made which are in favour of some changes as many site members prefer to post on FNZAS not other sites.

FNZAS is where many started so why not improve it as it is under utilised and is a independent site run as a society to help the Hobby.

I am not making the changes and I am not sure if changes will be made as I don’t own the site, just trying to get ideas, if you have no positive posts then don’t bother posting.

Maybe

• Starting Out

• Reef Discussion

• Chemistry

• Think Tank (Advance Topics)

• Marine T/E (subforum of general T/E)

• Separate Sponsors forums (may help keep discussions contained)

Layton

Sounds good plus

Fish/Coral disease