Galaxy Rasboras

firenzenz

I have a number of these guys and looking for more detailed info on breeding.

Link or personal experience- any info gratefully received.

Currently have 20+ in a AR620 which I've planted up with Val, Cabomba and some Jave Moss. Only tankmates are some juvi hypancistrus on the bottom.

Cheers!

Andrew

I find all you need to do is place a well conditioned pair in a small tank ( I use 200x300x200mm) with a bunch of spawning moss and they will spawn 48 hours later.

The catch is like all danio's they are egg eaters, so spawning traps are advised.

Expect around 50 eggs per spawning, they are not very prolific due to there small size and large eggs.

Good luck

A spawning trap is a specifically designed grid that the fish can't get round, through, or under, to get at the eggs.

I use the 4mm mesh used on building sites for covering the polystyrene cladding before plastering.

I have mine on a purpose built glass frame 25mm up from the bottom.

That way you can see when the fish have spawned.

A spawning trap is a specifically designed grid that the fish can't get round, through, or under, to get at the eggs.

I use the 4mm mesh used on building sites for covering the polystyrene cladding before plastering.

That's it Alan, how ever I use 2mm stainless steel on a glass frame.

I find all you need to do is place a well conditioned pair in a small tank ( I use 200x300x200mm) with a bunch of spawning moss and they will spawn 48 hours later. The catch is like all danio's they are egg eaters, so spawning traps are advised.

So where is the Java Moss going? On top of the netting or under the netting? or a bit of both? Or are they going to throw their eggs around anyway, Moss or not?

Old school traps are a layer of marbles on the bottom of the tank, but you can't see what you have if anything till they hatch with them.

I have read that the marbles also trap all the fish poo (as you want to feed the adults too while they are having fun for a week or two) and that the eggs have not enough oxygen to hatch. Any truth to that?

You can see I am all excited, cause I saw another 4 babies yesterday. :P

Moss is optional if you're using a proper spawning trap. They will spawn over the moss in a bare bottom tank and it allows the eggs to "hide" from parents for a short time.

4mm mesh may be dangerous for these smaller fish as they can get stuck trying to get at the eggs. 2mm is a good size as it will still allow the 1mmish eggs to fall through and properly prevent parents from getting to them.

I also note that raising the young separated from the parents makes them more sociable so the use of a breeding tank is recommended to prevent the rather shy tendencies of the wild caught generation.

Good luck breeding them everyone!

The moss is used above the grid and is at the target point where you want the maximum spawn to be dropped

I have read that the marbles also trap all the fish poo (as you want to feed the adults too while they are having fun for a week or two) and that the eggs have not enough oxygen to hatch. Any truth to that?

If you leave egg layers in that long, you are going to loose the biggest percentage of your spawn,

they will normally drop most in the earlier part of their meeting.

The fry only take about 12 hours, and less than 24 to hatch and come up onto the glass sides.

Easy targets for the parents.

Also the fish aren't fed in that spawning tank either.

You can see I am all excited, cause I saw another 4 babies yesterday. :P

No wonder your excited :o