GM fish are being killed

cichlid7

Just to get some facts strait.

We never said that we were surprised to find that the fish were GM, we knew they were GM from the first time I saw them. The reporter wrote the story, not me.

I personally never bought any of the fish from organism, but I did stress several times to the reporter that they were originally bought over the counter from there. so the mistake would have been easy to make, my main interest in talking to the press was to let them know that we sourced the fish legally, as the media release made no mention as to this and I did not wish people not involved to assume the fish had been smuggled in, or similar.

Also, we never claimed that we bred the fish, I fully intended to do so at some stage, but for now there was no reason to do so as my mate was producing plenty, and we try not to breed the same thing at the same time, as too many fish at once are difficult to sell.

I am getting a little tired of the personal attacks on here, as biosecurity have said, and I have requested that they put in writing, we have done nothing wrong, we saw the fish for sale, and, knowing that they has passed through MAF quarantine facilities and checks, assumed that they were legal.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the couple in the press that live in colombo st have lied about what they said.

They said they brought the glos from organism when the didn't because they got them from the guy that i know for $5 each.

they also said that they breed them which is not true all the fish they sell are brought from the guy i know and sold on trade me for 2 - 3 times the price.

Sorry i keep saying "the guy i know" but i don't want to give out his name.

there are other people on this forum who know this too

Actually, we never paid for any of the glo danios until after they sold, and the deal I had made with "the guy you know" was a fifty fifty split of the profit, he did the breeding, and I did the trademe stuff, he listed the first lot of glo danios himself, and then decided he really does not like dealing with the trademe stuff, so we made the deal for me to do it.

I am not sure where you got the $5 figure from, unless you are splitting the $10 buynow figure I was using on the last few auctions, as i belive when you bought the glo danio you only paid $4 each, or five for $20.

Carriej we sourced the fish legally,

Those are yout written words.

You would have been watching this site over that period and to say what you did above with something that is illegal doesn't make your actions legal.

You had a lot of feed back,including some from me that they were illegal, I even asked those ozzies that run T/M to chop your auctions but they saw fit not too.

You were out for a quick buck and I hope you got real burnt.

The lesson to be learnt here is; Every one stop assuming. If ANY doubts ask questions to find the answers then things like this wouldn't happen.

Markoshark DID THE CORRECT THING by contacting MAF :hail::hail:

If it was done earlier this incident WOULDN'T have happened.

Shops.... If you don't know what the fish actually is don't sell until YOU can guarantee what they are

Fish books are easily available and we all know what the "usual" fish look like. We hobbiests can recognise an angelfish, bettas, catfish, and the "common" oddballs like knifefish, butterfly fish, puffers and a bunch of dang things i can't spell off the top of my head :evil:

So when something really new comes in like the eels or a danio that doesn't look like the normal ones i think the MAF 0800 will be running red hot.

I also contacted tm and told them they needed to check the auctions like Alan, and again they did nothing.

While I like colourful and beautiful fish, until the risks of GM are fully established, which they will never be, I will never feel comfortable with GM anything being in the country for sale.

I have in the last couple of days contacted the MAF line about fish being sold in Auckland as 'yellow glo fish', they have not returned the call so at least I consider I have been more proactive this time than with the above.

Actually, we never paid for any of the glo danios until after they sold, and the deal I had made with "the guy you know" was a fifty fifty split of the profit, he did the breeding, and I did the trademe stuff, he listed the first lot of glo danios himself, and then decided he really does not like dealing with the trademe stuff, so we made the deal for me to do it.

CARRIEJ guess you have a big bill to pay then to hornby!

and the fifty fifty split you were just saying about?........has he seen any of this money yet? NO! but as long as your pockets are full thats all that matters right......... :evil:

fifty fifty split of the profit

That's abit much for you isn't it

all you do is go over there bring them back to your house and put them in your tank list them on trade me. Somebody win's the auction you don't even have to send out your phone number trade me does that catch the fish put in the bag and take the money. now that nor hard is it.....

While the guy in Hornby has to do 95% of the work with the fish

Get the pair breeding

raise the fry

do all the water changes

hatch the BBs

Pay the power bill for all of his tanks (heaps) how many tanks do you have running?? about 4

The split should be about 85% for him and 15% for you

illusionz_NZ do you think that is a bit closer

Carriej we sourced the fish legally,

Those are yout written words.

You would have been watching this site over that period and to say what you did above with something that is illegal doesn't make your actions legal.

You had a lot of feed back,including some from me that they were illegal, I even asked those ozzies that run T/M to chop your auctions but they saw fit not too.

You were out for a quick buck and I hope you got real burnt.

Actually I gave up fnzas awhile back, you can view my previous postings to see when.

The only reason I am back now is because I was informed that I was getting hammered on here, asd I should probably log on to defend myself, I was surprised to find that my account was still active, although I has to get a new password emailed to me as I threw away my old password months ago.

Yes I did get alot of comments from people saying that the fish were wrong and suggesting that they might be illegal, I made a huge mistake in sticking to my belief that if maf had passed them through quarantine, then they were not Illegal; many fish have been banned from import, but are still legal to buy, sell and trade.

I thought the fish I had were OK, but expected alot of flak over the GM issue, and resolved not to pay any attention to negative comments, It was a very severe misjugement, as I also paid no attention to well meaning advice that could have saved me, my mate who was breeding them, as well as many others, alot of trouble.

As for a quick buck, yeah, i though the glo danios were a good way to make some money, a few months ago I resolved to give up breeding and trading fish, shut down most of my tanks and sell off all my surplus eqipment, I lose too much money over winter, trying to keep all my tanks running as we live in an old wooden hose and the power bill quadruples over winter. We still owe money to my inlaws, they have a say over our budget and they do not approve of the fish beyond one tank, unless the hobby can support itself, whick is why I spend hours a week messing about on trademe and selling fish to make some cash.

I would have thought whatever deal carriej made with another person is between them and that person and nobody else's business.

I think all that needs to be said on the subject has been said and further discussion is pointless so I am locking this thread as it is drifting off topic.

It is possible the admins may then decide to delete it all since there are several threads on the same subject.