Warning to anyone who purchased neons from Animates CHCH

iisfaq

I purchased around 25 neon tetra's on Sunday from Animates at Tower Junction - from their Aqua Fun Day promotion.

The Neons came from the tank near the frozen food and they are infected with White Spot.

Normally I checkout everything I buy but I was in a big hurry and actually only there to buy Frozen Blood worms.

I went into the shop today and told them that their Neons were infected with White Spot which they did not know.

So incase you did buy some and you now have a problem hit them up for some tonic at their expense.

I ended up getting some tonic + melafix for free!

Chris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a shame about the Palmy store. Their store manager left last year, and she was excellent on the fish side of things. I went in there one weekend and there were bundles of dead fish. My bf commented that this manager would not be impressed (we assumed she wasn't working that weekend and would be back Monday). Found out later that week that she had quit. Amazing how fast things can go downhill...

We are lucky enough to have another store here which is amazing and helpful with fish though :wink:

Yeah the animates in Palmy sucked didn't spent long but saw sick dead or dying fish in most tanks was disgusted and walked out..

Sometimes fish just get whitespot and its just a thing have brought plenty of fish that didn't have it but the stress of moving etc they get it just a thought..

Yeah I had it commonly with my clown's too, whenever I moved them had a temp variation etc they got it, nothing else ever did and I just added a bit of salt seemed to clear them up, white spot is one of the only ones I wont complain about if I fish gets it after I buy it..

However having a tank full of fish with very bad whitespot for sale in a shop is bad in my books :)

Yeah, and neons do tend to get white spot same as clowns do... the stress of being chased around a tank and shifted will often bring it out, not always the shops fault.

We got some neon tetras from Tauranga Animates Aqua Fun Day which looked great - couple of days later they got white spot. Treated the water, and now they're fine again! :D

Not about whitesport, buut still about neons... My females seem to have big belly fluctuations! Is this normal for them to have... are they just like female human beings at that time of the month?! Sometimes they have nice slim bellies, other times, like now, their bellies are fat as!!! I've read its not possible to breed them... does any one know of otherwise?

separate male and female for a week or two, feed them up so they're well-conditioned, put them together in a tank with a spawning grid. They lay the eggs the next morning. Remove the adults. Tank needs to be kept completely darkened because the eggs and fry are photophobic (they die if exposed to light). They hatch in 24 hours and the fry hang for two days before free-swimming. They can be fed on newly-hatched brine shrimp straight away once swimming.

The only trick to it is to know that the eggs and fry are photophobic.

Breeding them is otherwise as simple as danios.

Today's neons have been tank-bred for generations. Only the original wild stocks were hard to breed, needing very specific water conditions etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I never buy any thing from Animates, they are quite happy to sell a dog and tell the people to cage them when they're at work. If you don't have a fenced yard don't get a dog, Animates don't give a toss and only care about the money.

Hey firespook, this is only a recommendation, I don't really have anything to say about Animates. But Critter Kingdom which is about a k down Blenhim Rd is a shop I'd recommend.

If you are willing to go further there is also Organism down the far end of Ilam rd. I've been out of Christchurch for a year now so things may have changed mind you.

Good luck.

I've shopped at all three of those. If you are just after some run of the mill fish animates is fine, but fish can be more expensive than other stores. I find the Tower Junction one is okay.

I will never shop at Critter kingdom on Blenheim Road again due to poor service.

And I like Organisms.

But there are heaps of LFS in chch, I also like Critter Kingdom on Stanmore Rd.

I've shopped at all three of those. If you are just after some run of the mill fish animates is fine, but fish can be more expensive than other stores. I find the Tower Junction one is okay.

I will never shop at Critter kingdom on Blenheim Road again due to poor service.

And I like Organisms.

But there are heaps of LFS in chch, I also like Critter Kingdom on Stanmore Rd.

Agreeded about Critter Kindom on blenheim, However stanmore road is not so bad, and normally have a good selection,

on the other hand Oragnism is the best iv ever seen, im waiting for john to open another.. or expand :D