Dragon blood peacocks....sexing

illusionz_NZ

Need some help here guys :-?

As common knowledge the way to sex peacocks is by the egg spots on anal fin and also the shape......

I bought 4 quite some time ago and they were a decent size now at around 8cm

i thought i bought 1 male (he had the egg spots and pointed anal fin) and 3 females (with no egg spots and round anal fin)

Recently i have noticed the other 2 bar the main male have developed egg spots and possible the 3rd one too.

Question is with these type can the females have egg spots or does it look like i have ALL MALES? :x

Severly fraustrated! been wondering why they have not bred yet.......

I got a pair, both male and female had egg spots, the females were duller...

and also all the young I have growing out have some from of egg spots too (they're about an inch)..

Heres some bad pics of my male, second one is when i first got him the other one is pretty recent, if you have a spare female let me know hes one of my fav fish and hes still going solo so im looking for one for him :)

DSC02578.jpg

dragonmale.jpg

As common knowledge the way to sex peacocks is by the egg spots on anal fin and also the shape......

Common knowledge is that the egg spots are not a reliable way to tell the sex of peacocks. Females have a use for egg spots too.

The best way to go is to vent sex your fish. If they are 8cm then this will be a reliable way to tell.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/gender.php

http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

Oh, usually when people ask to set up a colony, especially when buying young africans. I usually tip people to buy 6 or more. The tip here is to buy the best looking of the bigger ones, maybe 2. Then buy 4 of the smaller ones. Especially in peacocks, females grow slower than males.

Frenchy :D

When I had my Dragon colony the females definately had a hint of egg spots, nowhere near as large and vibrant as the males tho... and yeap the male had the pointed anal fin where as the females were rounded with signs of egg spots.

The info Frenchy gave is bang on tho :D

:D well that definately means i have the dominant male as he is bright colour and blue top fin. possibly another sub male and hopefully the otehr 2 are females. The male was certainly heaps bigger than the other 3 when i bought them.

Thanks for the info 8)