It's winter at last!

Caryl

The big pond (over 30m long) has stayed frozen all day for 2 days now. The 2 ends under the overhanging decks are not frozen of course.

June27bigpondafternoonice.jpg

The ice on the small pond is 12mm thick at 5pm.

June27icefromsmallpond.jpg

June27smallpondicelatepm.jpg

The birdbath is still frozen solid

June27birdbathfrozen.jpg

The grass has not defrosted either

June27permafrost5pm.jpg

Big pond ice is not so thick though

June27stillfrozenpm.jpg

Back in the UK we used to have to break the ice with a sledge hammer because it was that thick.

We also had a pipe that protruded above the water .. but was cut away below so that we could just push a rod down the pipe to break the ice in there... which was invarably thinner.

MLF asked:

do the fish cope okay with the ice? are there issues with oxygen getting into the water?

Caryl said above:

The 2 ends under the overhanging decks are not frozen of course.

It "still" amazes me how the arrive in spring.. fit as a fiddle.. but just slightly skinnier ha ha.

Also noting that they could have been several months without food.. and the winters over there are far more severe than here.

They wore ear muffs because of the cold :):)

Never heard of that before MLF.. (edit:.. Sorry I mean Fishy-T).. and we wouldn't do it where the fish normally congregate.

Quite often the ice was so thick you couldn't see them anyway :)

It is said that breaking the ice hurts the fish. Many suggest floating a ball or something in the pond so when you remove it they have a breathing hole.

As noted, my pond has decks overhanging each end so underneath the water is not frozen at those points.

An airstone bubbling away would keep a section open.

Unless it really gets cold.

Then it wont matter, they'll be hibernating on the bottom.

Yes it does scare the fish, in fact it can kill them with the shock waves breaking the ice.

It is said that breaking the ice hurts the fish

Often in these situations there was little option.. as several times in previous years the foot thick concrete sides had cracked due to ice.

Can't say we ever lost a fish through doing this.. and some of them were over a decade old :)

Bill.

I suspect if the ice was a foot thick, it was the lesser of two evils. The ice would have continued to thicken and probably swallowed up the fish :)

Ooops - I read it wrong. It was the concrete which was a foot thick - just ignore me everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah but look at what fish do when you knock on a glass fish tank.

Then imagine smashing the glass with a hammer and think how the fish would like it!

They'd love it! Except they might get hit with the hammer...Or is it just mine that come running when you bang on the tank and beg for food?

• 1 month later...

my fish frooze in the pond with ice all winter up to minus 9 some days not getting above minus 3 good old central otago, however for the last week or so the temp has been getting up to five or so today it managed to get to 18 i guess summer is coming

my fish are all fine, as long as you don't break the ice. i guess they hibenate. who knows? but this is what happens to fish in ponds down here, as long as you don't put them into the pond just before winter they survive.