February 15, 200422 yr comment_14077 Hello! I came across this website and forum while googling for some Latin plant names (you have a nice plant/fish database!), and was quite pleasantly surprised to see a thriving NZ aquaria scene. Cheers! Report
February 15, 200422 yr comment_14082 Hi and welcome budak. Hopefully we will see more of you and you will tell us a bit about what fish and/or plants you have. Report
February 15, 200422 yr Author comment_14093 My personal aquatic interests are planted aquaria and Southeast Asian aqualife - you can view my haphazard gallery here (requires registration, but Imagestation is one of the best free online galleries). I have only been to NZ once (3 or 4 years ago to North Island on a week long working trip), but have fond memories of the country, the people and esp. the pristine nature. One question I have is: does anyone keep (is it legal anyway?) those strange fishes known as galaxiids? I have always found this group rather fascinating. Report
February 15, 200422 yr comment_14095 Welcome budak, by the way, you didn't miss anything not going to the Sth. Island on your visit. Alan Report
February 15, 200422 yr comment_14096 Don't start that agin Alan! :lol: http://www.nzfreshwater.org/galaxiids.html may be of interest to you. There are quite a few species and some may be restricted but I have kept the local variety. A very pretty fish. For those of you not sure what fish these are - they are the species commonly known as whitebait Report
February 16, 200422 yr comment_14127 Yeah Alan, I'm a northie and I reckon the South Island is great! Report
February 16, 200422 yr comment_14132 We can allow a few traitors warren Your excused, do you want your fare now or later? Alan Report
February 16, 200422 yr Author comment_14133 can i be diplomatic by saying I have friends from both North Island and South Island?? and thanks for the link, Caryl. will plough through it later tonight. Report
February 17, 200422 yr comment_14155 Welcome to the fish forum which covers all the islands (including Stewart LOL). How did you become interested in fish keeping in the beginning??? Seeing neon tetras was how I got interested. Report
February 17, 200422 yr comment_14189 Hi budak! Welcome to the new zealand fish rooms. Singapore held the aquarama not long ago, did you manage to go along? Man I dream of being able to go to one of those one day. Report
February 17, 200422 yr comment_14203 Damned inanga fish. I lost tons of marks on a question in the bursary bio exam based on them. It was asking about why they're considered endangered and I talked about overfishing when they wanted environmental damage :evil: . Anyway, welcome to our little community Report
February 18, 200422 yr comment_14207 Welcome Budak! Lovely tank you have! Especially all the plants. Chris- Report
February 18, 200422 yr Author comment_14211 Hi Doc, Ya, I was there.... mainly to browse though.... you can see some nice pictures of the show here Thanks for your compliments..... and I hope to be able to contribute in the planted and some of the fishy forum sections here Goldie, I have always wanted a fish tank (as in lush, planted aquaria) as far as I can remember (nigh 30 years), and had only been able to restart the hobby (after childhood dabblings) a few years ago after a decade long dry period. Report
February 18, 200422 yr comment_14220 What a link! Would be interesting to see one of those Aquaramas. Thanks Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.