out door ponds

puddle

Hey ya

I'v convinced my partner to dig me a fish pond I want to get it in soon so that it can cycle for most of winter and then add the first fw fish in spring

We are lanning a kidney shape pond with a bridge over it which takes you out to a bbq/deck area any thoughts on size of pond we are goingto dig it with a tractor (we live on a farm) but i dont deal much with ponds sonit sure of correct size or if any shape is better than others????

Cheers

Bek

A pond won't cycle until there are fish in it. It's the fish wastes that start the process. Personally, I wouldn't bother filling a new pond until spring. Why have all that winter temp. water to warm up. Plus.. it'll just collect muck over the winter for nothing.

When you add fish just add them slowly, say start with 2 and leave them a couple of weeks. Also by setting the pond up in spring you can add plants and stuff as you fill the pond (you will definitely need plants to help slow any algae growth) and it will be easier than having your arms stuck in freezing cold water. Then you can rearrange them so they look right before you finish filling.

You need consider where plants will go. Do you want some areas that act as shelves to sit plants on? (you don't have to, you can stack bricks on the bottom to sit pots on but this can be a bad idea if you're using a plastic liner.) You pond will need to have 2/3rds of it shade by plant (liek water lilies) or other means if you want to have any hope of having clear water (or I suppose you could use a UV filter)

Where will you filter go? Where will it get power from? How will you clean/hide it? Do you want a fountain spray?

The most important thing (IMHO) is to consider how you will empty or clean the pond when you need to as this is by far the biggest job you have as a pondkeeper and can be a real chore :roll:

Personally.. if you can reach the bottom, everywhere with your hand or a short net then you've made your life easier. I think 40cm is probably decent while stil being practical to maintain. Check with your council about pool fencing

It also needs to be big enough so fish can escape from cats and stuff (like if they can swim to a deeper part or to the middle and be far enough away from the edge.

I'm sure Caryl will be posting soon. She's just built the pond of all ponds at her place and it looks awesome :)

the place we have chosen is close to the house so during summer months thereisnt going to be alot ofsun in late efternoons therenot a lot of trees around so having thebridge over it will provide shade too can run a powerpoint to the laundry to have a pump running I am planning onputting a uv steriliser on it aswell going to build the sides up with big rocks round the outside as I have to cats who are highly amused with my tanks inside!!! i plan on having a fountain filter onit to ad effect i want ot have lillies growing on the surface to

with the farmequipment we can jack a siphon up to suck the water out I have that nit sortd my partner got an idea uphis selve so all should bewell

I still will fillit up and leave it over winter tho how can you have an empty tank withnothing init it would drive menutts atleast if it full i can get the plants established tec

Biggers is better, but I think there is some law about how deep you can have them before they come into the swimming pool fence law. From memory it's 18" deep? Maybe someone can confirm this.

Anyway, go as deep as is legal ;)

Cheers

Ian

Tell them it is a dam and you will be fine.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/landsc ... 11825.html is the link to my pond building saga but you will be able to go even bigger, deeper and better.

Depth is good and you need it big enough so the bridge doesn't overwhelm it. Don't have something with pockets around the edges as this will give you dead water areas where algae etc will love to grow. Oval, square, rectangular or kidney are easy and good shapes. I don't think temperature is a problem where you are otherwise I would recommend at least 90cm depth.

One problem you may have is with ducks. They will pollute a fishpond, make a mess and eat the fish :roll:

ya ive been reading yousaga your pond is beautiful!!!!! as for the heat i'm out of greymouth actuqally in reefton so heat could be a problemmy partner sed can get to mid 30s in the summer months in the heat of the day so will look at depth my biggest worry is the house was built in 1927 so not sure where the pipes will be and how deep under ground they are dont wnat to get in there with a tractor and bust the pipes lol

im not sure bout the duks apparntly herons are a problem here and thats bad they cant have my fish!!!! they ate all the fish in the neighbours pond so will have to find soething to scare them away but my cats will be a problem to thee love sitting on their scratching post watching the tropicals inside And patting the glass hmmmp :evil:

there still alot more to consider because i want it big i think kidney shape willlook best tho

If you surround the pond with flat rocks that wobble when the cats stand on them they will be less incined to try fishing :wink:

Herons are a major problem, as are kingfishers.

60cm would be good enough to combat the heat.

I know of someone around here who made a pond, initally it was made for his ducks then he chucked in a couple of goldies that he didn't want inside as breeders and now he has literally thousands of goldies in his pond (and none inside anymore). He is also on a farm so the pond is very large and i think it is fed by a natural stream and he has netting or something to stop the fish ending up downstream. But i could be wrong.

I know that he dug it with a tractor and then got clay (dunno where from) to seal the walls of the pond. He has an island in the middle and flaxes around one side. It is really shallow on the edges and gets deeper in the middle, dunno how deep. He has a "bridge" the water goes underneath it through a pipe.

It is great to see it in summer when the fish are out sunbathing, as they are up in the shallows and their backs are out of the water, its like an orange mat. I will try to get a photo one day and post it on this site.

He still has his ducks living on the pond too (he rehabilitates birds) but it doesn't seem to diminish the numbers of goldies. There are also Kingfishers and other birds that visit on occasion.

Another thing - no need to let your council know you have a pond cos then they will want to come around and check on it. I know the inspectors here and i asked hypathetically 'if i have a pond..." and they said 'just don't tell us'.

• 4 months later...

And also 'cause its YOUR responsibility to look after all the kids in the neighbourhood that may wander onto your property (where they shouldn't be in the first place) and make sure they don't drown in your pool.

It is in NO way the parents responsibility to check where their kids are, supervise them at all times or to teach them life skills - like swimming - or even listening to their parents advice ...

Good luck with your pond under these ludicrous laws!

I enquired about fencing my pond and was told by two different council people that it didn't matter as the law was for swimming pools (for humans), and the subject of fish ponds was a grey area but they said I did not have to fence mine.

Besides, if we can have 2 rivers running, unfenced, through the middle of our town, plus a gorgeous one through a popular park (with a children's play area right beside it) again unfenced, then I don't see why I should have to fence something on my own private property! :evil:

I google searched 'pond fencing requirements' just the other day, and the first link that came up was this link

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/QuickAnswers/Bui ... /F1709.asp

Where it says

"Under the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act 1987, a pond is considered to be a swimming pool, and must be fenced in accordance with that Act if:

(a) "...the maximum depth of the water exceeds 400mm" Section 5(b),

and

(b) it is "... used in association with any house, home unit, apartment building, school, hospital, hotel, motel, camping ground, or other similar premises" Section 5 © (i).

To avoid the need for a fence in the above situation, it is suggested that an overflow be constructed that prevents the water ever being more than 400mm deep (eg, after rain)."

That one is only for CHCH but id say it should be the same everywhere else...