Wanting to set up a 4 foot tank.

Dixon1990

So i want to set up a 4foot planted tank. I haven't got the tank yet im just working out what exactly im going to do and want some suggestions for what filtration and substrate to use. I want the cheapest filter i can get that will keep the water good quality.

The fish i would want to have in here are:

1 BGK

4-5 Discus

Pair of BN

2 Whiptails

Pair of Blue Rams

12-15 Rummynose or cardinal tetras.

Would this be overstocked?and would these fish be happy living together?

Sounds nice. It depends on the litreage as to exactly what fish you can have but your standard 4 footer should take those fish comfortably. Id use either a fine gravel, or sand, or even a mixture of both if you prefered it. For filtration, id use an external filter around 1000LPH, which you could probably pick up on trademe for not too much, or even brand new for just over $100.

Have you read my starting a planted tank article? ill try find it for you

EDIT: here it is, hope it helps you

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/thinki ... 18044.html

i use a sand base & have a gravel top layer. those fish should be fine but i would recommend having at least a 1200L/ph or two 1000L/ph. On my 3 footer i have thw hood filter (900L/ph) & a CF1000 (1000L/ph) which keeps the water crystal clear. The discus need really good clean water or the don't do well. I can recomend petplanet for well priced canister filters, especially the aqua one CF1000 or CF1200.

i've set my planted tank up to handle common plecs. main problem being is that they used to rearange the substrate quite abit and rip up plants. i found that using medium sized riverstones seem to stop them somewhat. check out the "members tanks" section and you can see how i set mine up.

• 2 weeks later...

Still havent been able to find a tank yet.But have decided what fish i am wanting to have.

1 BGK

4-5 Discus

Pair of BN

4 Whiptails

2 Clown plecs

5 Sterbai cory

Pair of Rams(Blue or Bolivian,havent decided yet)

And a school of about 15 tetras