what lighting for my aquarium?

tukituki

hi,

i've decided to upgrade the light on my 90cm long aquarium as the current one just isn't doing the job. my local fish shops don't seem to stock many, there are many on trademe at the moment so i'd like some advice on what you think i should get?

the 3 glass lids make the length slighly longer than 90cms if it was to attach with clips etc so maybe one that rests on the top would be best.

would i need single or double bulb holding capacity?

thanks.

On my tank of roughly that size im running 2x 30W 6500K bulbs which do well enough - im quite heavily planted though.

In terms of wattage and how many bulbs needed it really depends what your trying to do with it e.g. light/heavily planted tank or bare etc, doubles are more expensive but more worth it if your looking to add more light, for that size theyre usually 90-110 for a double hood.

Personally id go for the highest wattage double i could find on there, T5's aren't up on trademe that often and cost more, alternatively you could look into building your own if you wanted something more specific.

Also ive found that going to a lighting wholesaler or hardware store saves quite a bit on bulbs compared to a pet store in my experience and you can get more specifics for wattage, kelvin etc.

Hope that helps :wink:

I am doing the same thing that you are tukituki but with a slightly smaller tank. I have ordered some T5 units from http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=291 2x24w units. They come all pre wired will electric ballest and waterproof fittings and clips for the bulbs. I am getting to sets for my tank.

They have ended out around about the same price compared to sourcing all the bits and pieces from electrical wholesalers.

So to cut a long story short i get everything i need for slightly more expensive then parts but then the unit is waterproof.

Next step lights.

thanks. i'd ideally like just one unit that sits on the glass lids or clips on somehoe, i don't like the idea of me constructing it, i'm not so good at diy!

the lights on pet planet, how would they work? my light at the moment is in a case with a regular light bulb, yep not ideal and need something better but easy to set up.

there are some aqua one lights i've seen, double ones, are they any good?

ta.

We have T5's on our planted discus tank and they are brilliant... I also have 4 Aqua Ones on our Frontosa tank and they are great to. I would definately buy Aqua One lights for a fish tank again if I needed more lights...

Stay away from Ocean Free lights IMO :) 8) There are better out there... Have had those and they are not that great, not to mention the fitting ends come away quite easily of which resulted in my hubby getting a good zap muuuhahahahaha :lol:

Alot of LFS have a few of each stock that they sell, and alot of shops order them in on request (which can be overnight service if you request that).

Ok what is the light for tho? Is it heavily planted or just lightly planted etc. For a medium-heavily planted tank, I'd suggest T5s. But if its lightly or hardly any plants then T8 tubes might work out better. It all depends on what is in your tank or how you want it to be (whether its gonna go full on with plants or be solely ornaments etc with less plants, or more light to make the fish easier to see).

You also have to remember that with this hobby (most of us are hooked and are always looking at upgrades), that spending a little more money at the start saves you alot more money later on. Just keep that in mind .

Hope this helps :)

the tank is medium planted with some of the plants likely to grow a lot once the lighting improves. i can't really spend too much, got my horses, dogs and cats to think of as well, but i've seen double aqua one lights for $120 or a jebo 2nd hand similar price including bulbs.

is this the T5?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =103281063

how much would the bulbs be? might not quite fit on my tank with the cover (comes to 93cms), maybe aqua one or Jebo?!

Decisions decisions...!!!

I got some t5 fittings with 2x 39 watt t5 bulbs for a 3 foot tank for a little over 200 bucks from guy on trademe called original aqua. The tank looks totally different now, pretty good cos they're cheap at that price imho.

t8lights.jpg

Tank with 60 watts of t8 lights

t5lights.jpg

Tank with 78 watts of t5 lights

Just to show ya the difference. Its a 90 cm long tank btw and about 50 cm deep so its kinda about the length of yours. The light ballast thingy can extend a little too.

sorry ljtan55 your post didn't show until after i wrote! yeah i see the difference.

do you have to get the special bulbs for it?

yeah i've checked it is extendible.

maybe you're starting to change my mind, would look pretty nice...!

Yeah the bulbs were extra. I'm not sure what the actual price is cos he gave me a bit of a discount, but it was about 30 bucks each for the 39watt t5 bulbs, and about $150 for the fittings. Which is pretty good, esp cos i saw the fitting without bulbs costing $255 at another fish store.