The Move

SpidersWeb

As some of you know I recently shifted from Wellington up here to Hamilton. This is one of those times I wish I didn't have fish!

Me and Helen have agreed to never move house again until we own it!

What people often forget about moving with fish long distance, is the time required to restablish the tanks. After spending one week doing trips up and down, loading trailers, moving fish, moving furniture, we still had to set up the house, and we were exhausted, so fish-time was minimal.

We had gone to strong lengths to be sure our filters would stay cycled. We put the noodles in tank water, in a container with an oxy shell, some plecos, some stress zyme and some 'waste control'.

Cut a long story short, it didn't work, and I didn't have the energy or time to notice. First off our fish just started getting lethargic and dying, then a huge whitespot outbreak started to take charge. By the time I had this sorted, I found huge ammonia build ups in some tanks, and nitrite had killed all my clown loaches. It was a disaster.

Without the energy and time, I lost a lot of great fish, including breeding pairs. Now I'm back on scedule, I'm testing for ammonia and nitrite daily, and watching the tanks closely. White spot is under control now, and there haven't been any deaths lately.

It's a very sad time when you're netting that many dead fish out. It was stupid of me not to catch on to it earlier. Here is a RIP list:

- Apistogramma Agasezii breeding pair

- Gold Severum breeding pair

- Gold/Green Severum breeding pair

- All of our convicts except for 1 tiny guy

- Breeding Pairs of silver and koi angels

- Adult platinum white female (still got the male though)

- Black Lace Veiltail angel

- Some cute random angels we raised from young

- All 6 clown loaches, including our big 20cm guy :( :(

- Small Jag cichlid

- Firemouth

That's pretty shocking considering I knew better.

But alas, it is a new day.

Funny thing though, our little Jebo 810 was drained, sealed, and shoved in to car. When I rinsed it with a cold hose tubifex worms came out, so I figured if they could live there it can't be too bad. Hooked it up, and despite a 24 hour down time, it's started with a heavy fish load on a 3ft tank, and haven't had a single loss, perfectly cycled filter.

Funny thing though, our little Jebo 810 was drained, sealed, and shoved in to car. When I rinsed it with a cold hose tubifex worms came out, so I figured if they could live there it can't be too bad. Hooked it up, and despite a 24 hour down time, it's started with a heavy fish load on a 3ft tank, and haven't had a single loss, perfectly cycled filter.

When I moved from hamilton to whangarei I did just that, and took a few big containers of water with me, didn't rinse gravel or anything and it worked fine. However it was only a 180L tank.

Sucks to lose that many fish though, I'm surprised about the convicts, I always thought they were tough as old boots. :(

Sorry about your losses SW. :cry:

I feel for you and know what you were going through. :(

As you will know, I am also moving. Not as far as you but I have 36 tanks to move all containing fish.

I owned both houses so waiting till you buy isnt really sufficient to add to the equation.

My shift is purely for health reasons and I was well aware of the task ahead when I made the decision to move.

I hope I can keep my losses to an absolute minimum as when you loose "Breeding Pairs" that you have raised it is like loosing one of your own.

Good luck from now on.

Sorry to hear about the losses. It never nice to lose fish and its difficult when your moving such a big distance. Goodluck with the remainder of your fishes and with settling into Hamilton. It's sure to have better weather in winter than Wellington.

I am sorry SW.

The finteresting thing is (for me any how), you would think these are ornamental fish and you will never get attached to it. But you do, even to the , littlest, unconvincing fish in the tank, and when they die, you would feel as bad as if you have lost a pet.

- Apistogramma Agasezii breeding pair

- Gold Severum breeding pair

- Gold/Green Severum breeding pair

- All of our convicts except for 1 tiny guy

- Breeding Pairs of silver and koi angels

- Adult platinum white female (still got the male though)

- Black Lace Veiltail angel

- Some cute random angels we raised from young

- All 6 clown loaches, including our big 20cm guy :( :(

- Small Jag cichlid

- Firemouth

iv got

4 convicts (2m 2f)

4angels

And 2 green severums that iv been trying to sell, if you can pick them up you can have them for free.