What fish can i put with axolotls?

Dixon1990

Not really unless you want to feed them to the axolotl. Goldfish chew on their filaments which isn't a very nice experience for the axolotl I imagine :-? You could try a borneo sucker, I don't think it would hurt the axolotl but theres a chance it might be eaten?

Mel :)

you could try mountain minnows, ive got them happily breeding in with a young axie but im sure if the axie gt hungry hed get the odd 1 but thats the good thing about them breeding!

keep the axie's well fed and plenty of plants for the fish and dont get upset if the fish disapear :lol:

Here are the best three words of advice regarding other tank inmates: Just say no.

Why? Well, let us suppose we would like to keep something with our axolotls, for instance, a fish, or another salamander or newt. The fish will invariably attempt to nibble on an axolotl's gills. After all, they're so attractive and feathery! The salamander or newt may try the same trick, particularly at feeding time. Let us suppose that our axolotl is bigger than the fish or salamander. It's quite likely we'll end up with one well fed axolotl! There is a simple rule that axolotls follow: if it moves and it's smaller than our axolotl, it'll end up in our axolotl's stomach. So, follow my three words of advice: Just say no!

http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#other

The above link is really good for information on Axolotls. I once had a comet in with my axolotl and after one night it had chewed the axolotls filaments to a stub. IMO if you care about the axolotl (or the fish depending on its size) I would resist the temptation to add fish to their tank. In saying that though I did have borneo suckers in my axolotls tank for a while and they seemed to live together peacefully.

Mel :)

• 1 year later...