Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Suitable substrate

Featured Replies

Can anyone recommend a good, but not overly expensive substrate setup for a planted tank, was thinking a few mm of Dalton's aquatic mix, covered by a thin layer of propagating sand (to keep the mix in place??) then an inch or so of small to medium gravel.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated 8)

See what gravel your local fish store has. Also try landscape supply places for the gravel(make sure you wash it before use)

Can anyone recommend a good, but not overly expensive substrate setup for a planted tank, was thinking a few mm of Dalton's aquatic mix, covered by a thin layer of propagating sand (to keep the mix in place??) then an inch or so of small to medium gravel.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated 8)

A few mm?

I have at least 15mm of Aquatic mix, then about 20mm of small gravel on top. I also put a thin layer of propogating sand underneath the Aquatic Mix, my theory on this was to stop it going stagnant on the bottom and try and get some circulation going on down there. Don't know if it does or doesn't make any difference, though!

hmmm, that is a good thought, perhaps i should dig up the tank and redo it :o:o

I've got, 1-peat, 2- aquatic mix, 3- propgating sand, 4-brightwater (dark grey) gravel. about 15-20mm of each.

I use Aquatic Mix, Sand, then Coarse gravel. I use the coarse river gravel to stop my plecos from ripping up the plants. In the other tank its just Aquatic mix and Brightwater gravel.

I found the finder the gravel substrate the better, I also have florapol in between the layers of my substrate. Make sure you use a plate to brake he water or your tank will end up in a brown cloudy mess and you will have start all over again as the filter will not clean it

  • 6 months later...

Hi guys, I went shopping today for substrate for the new tank I am setting up. I have found some Dalton's Aquatic mix, but they hadn't heard of propagating Sand so i will keep looking. Do I wash the aquatic mix before I put it in the tank or just the sand and gravel?

Also any ideas on some black gravel - I have some called Tuscan Path coloured stones which is black - i bought a small bag - is this suitable or is it dyed? It is quite expensive.

Thanks,

Sam

The propogating sand is Daltons as well, you can get it in 5 litre and 20 litre bags.

Thanks for your help Zev and Cichlid, I am feeling much more confident with my first two layers. Just the top layer to go. I'm not sure that the aquatic plants section is the right place for an answer to that one.

Cheers,

Sam

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.