May 8, 200719 yr comment_161586 Hi, I have just set up a 450l tank, it has been set up for about a month and now has some plants in it. In the last 5 days I have had a really big problem with algae, I think its thread algae, it sorta hangs of the plants and gravel. I just cant get rid of it, its taken over everything, I am vacuuming daily and am struggling and failing to keep it under control. What should I do? :-? :-? Do I need a co2 system to go with the 4x58 watt t8 tubes? Should I get some algae eaters pronto? Thanks Report
May 8, 200719 yr comment_161591 More plants will help, they will use up the excess nutrient that is feeding the algae. A couple of small plecos would probably help keep it under control too, although they will just convert it to pleco poo :lol: At least thats easier to vacumn out. Cheers Ian Report
May 8, 200719 yr comment_161604 Do I need a co2 system to go with the 4x58 watt t8 tubes? Should I get some algae eaters pronto? Thanks light and co2 would only add to the problem if u dont have enough plants so like Ianab said, more plants. what are u doing with out a cleaning crew in ur tank? every tank should have a cleaning crew, start with BN. Report
May 8, 200719 yr Author comment_161613 Light is already there, and tank is new so no fish yet. How about a fleet of golden siamese algae eaters and some kulhi loaches? It needs to be something not to big and peaceful. Report
May 8, 200719 yr comment_161621 Hi My cleanup crew is a BN, 8 ottos, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters and some corys who forage through top of the substrate. They certainly deal to algae, and are great fish to keep. Regards, TGWH Report
May 8, 200719 yr comment_161639 tank is new so no fish yet Think you should start with a couple of little bristlenose plecos then They are small, hardy and peacefull. Put them in there for a few weeks and let them clean up and cycle the filters for you. Cheers Ian Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161696 I would try getting algae eaters first before getting a CO2 setup, you may not need it. Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161701 My SAE's don't even look at the hair or brush algae in my tank :evil: . I saw one of them swim up to have a munch on the algae, decided he didn't like it and swam away. Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161704 i was told they don't eat established hair algae. only new stuff. need flourish excel or something else to get rid of the old stuff. still need to get some more. Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161707 Think you should start with a couple of little bristlenose plecos then They are small, hardy and peacefull. Not sure what you mean with small?? Mine were over 20cm long last time I saw them... :-? Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161722 i was told they don't eat established hair algae. only new stuff. need flourish excel or something else to get rid of the old stuff. still need to get some more. Ok thanks for the heads up , i have only had them a week i'll try removing the affected leaves and see if that prevents it growing back Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161723 Ok thanks for the heads up , i have only had them a week i'll try removing the affected leaves and see if that prevents it growing back have you had a read of the post Blueandkim made in the "Aquatic Plants" section. very helpful post in the "black algae" thread. Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161726 Not sure what you mean with small?? Mine were over 20cm long last time I saw them... Are you sure thats it's a bristlenose? They should only grow to about about 12-15 cm or so. If it's a common pleco though, then it's still a baby :-? Cheers Ian Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161737 How long are your lights on for? How much natural light does your tank get? Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161738 Are you sure thats it's a bristlenose? They should only grow to about about 12-15 cm or so. Yes I am very sure Ian. I have had thousands of baby bristlenoses from them. They bought themselves several tanks and filters already Come to think of it - must be my good organic homegrown menu I lay on for them Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161758 Yes I am very sure Ian. I have had thousands of baby bristlenoses from them. Cool... wonder if there is a world record for BN Catfish I think they sometimes measure them minus the tail fin? Maybe thats the difference? Anyway the tank in question was 400l, so he has room for a couple of bristlenoses anyway, even jumbo size ones. Cheers Ian Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161827 have you had a read of the post Blueandkim made in the "Aquatic Plants" section. very helpful post in the "black algae" thread. thanks have just headed over there and posted some questions on it. Report
May 10, 200719 yr Author comment_161994 The lights are on for 11 hours and he tank doesnt get any direct sunlight Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.