Conference 2004 Update - Itinerary, Costs and Contacts

Warren

This is my first time to the forum, but as i have just received the conference details i have a couple of questions.

Question 1: There seems to be a huge difference if you miss out on the first 17 spots, an extra $300/person, and the discount for 80+ only $50/person

Question 2: The letter said "Due to the tradition of holding Conference at Queens Birthday Weekend, we have hit peak rates in Fiji. It also coincides with Australian school holidays"

If we are breaking tradition by going offshore why do we have to keep to Queens Birthday weekend if a couple of weeks later would have been cheaper. For our family of four the seven nights with spending and food will be approx $10,000 which is a hell of a lot more than was first indicated. In a previous forum it was said that by saving approx $100/month you would have enough in two years, for a family of four that is $400/month, yeah right!!

Question 3: As Auckland are the hosting club and it was their idea to have the conference offshore, and that it was going to be organised by John it seems strange that the travel centre used and payments to, is to a Hawkes Bay travel agent. Is Auckland still hosting it or has the federation taken over, if so why have clubs not been notified of the change.

Hello Dugong,

Question 1:

You seem to have missed the bit that says it's cheaper for families.

It's approx $1650.00 per adult + 2/3 airfare for kids and accommodation is free. Works out at $3300 + the kids airfares at approx $500 each. So for a typical family you're looking at $3300 + $1000 (2 Kids) + Spending money. That’s $4300. If you can spend $5900 in a week it will cost $10000. More realistically you'll spend $150 a day for a family = $1050 for the week. So a realistic total is more like $5350 - $5700 or about half of what you've stated.

There are 17 cheaper rooms which is at least 34 people if they all only twin share. If more than 2 stay in a room it's cheaper per person + more people in total can fit in. Up to 4 can stay in each cheaper room. There is one double bed and 2 singles. We will likely get approx 50 people going (maybe / hopefully more). If about 50 go then way more than half will get the cheaper option if they want it. I'm going for the more expensive room and twin share. We are going for a week after all. I'd rather pay a bit extra and be a bit more comfortable and not quite as cramped.

If you have any questions or doubts about the costs, please call/e-mail the travel agent to discuss.

Question 2:

The peak season runs from about now through to the end of July. The tradition of Queen's Birthday Weekend for Conference is mainly due to the long weekend. It is more convenient for people to travel the large distances to get to the hosting city. In our case, we will be away for 8 days (7 nights) and we will only need to take 4 days annual leave (in most cases). Queen's Birthday Weekend is also at a time where the weather is most settled in Fiji (no monsoons!).

Question 3:

The FNZAS hasn't taken over. I personally volunteered to organise the travel part of conference. Since I am based in Hawkes Bay it’s easier to manage everything from here. Rest assured, John is also doing his bit, it just doesn't show.

Hi Warren

I have got ours today in the mail and made me drool! :lol: Unfortunately it is outside our financial capabilities this year. I hope everyone that goes along has a great time.

Maybe those of us staying behind should get together somewhere too? Not for a "meeting" as such but just a get together. Anyone interested?

HI Warren, thanks for the speedy reply, but not everything is as easy as 1+1. I admit that $10000 was a bit high but not to far off for us. As our children are over twelve and we would want seperate rooms, our costs we feel are fairly conservitive.

Trip to auck and back:$160

Night in Auck for 4 :$120

Departure tax for 4 :$100

Flights and Accom :$6756

Insurance :$114

Food and Ent :$1400

TOTAL :$8656

The food and entertainment assumes $50/person which on talking to people who've been there does not leave much for entertainment when food is expensive.

As for monsoons!, as they are between Dec and Feb a little flexibility would not put anyone in danger.

It would have been a great trip but the price has put us out, so hope everyone has a good time.

BUT then you still may see us as on checking today i found out we can get to plantation island at the same time for $1199. A saving of $2000!

Dugong

Hi Dugong

awsome prices!!! this would make the trip totaly affordable for my family

If you can get prices like this, no reason why we cant do the same I just might shop around the travel agents myself and see what else is on offer as we couldn't afford the final quote either

cheers

seaturtle

Quick note:

NZ Departure tax is included in the quoted price. Departure tax in Fiji is not included as it is in Fijian dollars and will depend on the exchange rate at the time.

I haven't checked the cut-off age for kids. In some cases it's as high as 16. You would need to confirm this.

There may be a few cheap deals still available. If you are really quick you might snap up any that are left. There are often half a dozen avaialble per flight.

I asked our local agents for prices and they at first said they could do it cheaper but when they started checking further, discovered they couldn't. We do not have children to think about (it is great when they leave home! :lol: ) so do not have those extra expenses. One of our club members is looking for babysitters so she and her husband can enjoy a break away :wink:

Cat Said

Maybe those of us staying behind should get together somewhere too? Not for a "meeting" as such but just a get together. Anyone interested?

Sounds like a good idea,

The HBAS comittee had a meeting tonight and this (Conference 04) was a pretty hot topic on the agenda.

HBAS will look at putting on something later on this year for those who can not afford or who wish not to attend the conference this year.

Dates are yet to be confirmed but will be around mid September.

It will be something similar (Maybee :wink: ) to what we did in October 02.

It was felt that as we are the biggest club within the FNZAS that we must make an effort to try and bring fish people from all the clubs together for a fishy weekend of some description that everyone can enjoy.

For those who didnt attend last time, I can assure you it wont cost you a large amount of money.

Look out for more details at a later date

/Bruce

I replied to 'Cat's" suggestion and said "why not have a weekend like we had last year with a fish auction at Napier".

Don't know what happened to the post.

If it got deleted or munched by the system.

But thanks Bruce, that IMO will be great,

You do of course realize this will be two years in a row.

Thereby becoming a annual event. :evil:

Good, something to fill in, till we get the National Fish Show up again.

Alan

HBAS will look at putting on something later on this year for those who can not afford or who wish not to attend the conference this year.

Why put on a weekend just for those who didn't attend conference? I've never been to even a regular club meeting yet (although I intend to start this year) and I'm not going to the conference because I can't afford it (being a teenager) but I believe that more people would make for a better event, wouldn't it?

If this is a matter of you feeling let down or insulted, whether real or perceived, I would still hope that you keep the interests of everybody in mind and try to make any event that you organise as enjoyable as possible for everybody.

PS. Looking back, I think I may have misinterpreted what you said. If you did mean to allow everybody to attend, then please forget this.

PS. Looking back, I think I may have misinterpreted what you said. If you did mean to allow everybody to attend, then please forget this.

I think Bruce was saying that anyone unable to go to the Conference could go to this 'fun day'. I think it's a really good idea, depending on how many can't go to the conference. It would also be cool if there was an auction :D

Chris-

Bruce was suggesting a public Fish Display (and maybe an auction again) weekend Interfecus. Hawkes Bay club organised one a couple of years ago and several members of our club, along with many others from around the country, travelled up there and had a great time.

He is suggesting it, I believe, as a way for fish keepers to meet, other than at conference. Most members do not attend conference, even when it is in NZ.

There is a lot of work involved in organising these large events so anyone volunteering needs all the help and encouragement they can get! :lol:

At least you ought to know how the tank stands fit together this time Bruce! :wink:

We never exclude anybody or any club, the more people there are the better it will be.

Chris

As for an Auction, well you never know

/Bruce

Sounds excellent. Remember to ask me for some help if you need it. I'm looking forward to it. Last time the HBAS put on an event like this it was great. Many people from out of town came and had a lot-o-fun. Unfortunately I caught the flu and ended up missing out on the social evening... This time I'll be there!

In earlier posts there was a question about the timing of the FNZAS Conference. The question asked why we can't move the date to a time when the costs are lower. I knew there was a very good reason for it but couldn't recall why. Earlier today I read through all my notes and found exactly why it is when it is. Our Consitution states that Conference (AGM) is to be held in June (section 24).

24. A General Meeting of Officers and Delegates to the Federation (in the rules referred to as "the Annual General Meeting") shall be held in the month of June each year. Observers may also attend such meetings.