Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Help ... Problem with Golden - Swollen Eye

Featured Replies

Hi there, Michelle (Sid's wife here). Our golden female appears to have something wrong with her eye ... its has swollen up really badly and sticks out from the side of her face. We are not sure if she has been beaten up or is sick ... any advice would be appreciated.

  • Author

i think (sid is the expert) its a golden cichlid ... sorry cant do a photo not than techanalogical ... sorry I am not much help ... sid is at work and asked if I could find out anything ...

if its just happened all of a sudden id guess that it had either had a fight or caught it on a sharp bit of rock or something?

personally i would do a few more waterchanges than usual to keep the water nice and clean, and see if it comes right on its own.

if the eye falls out the fish will probably be ok ive had a few that have lost an eye and theyve been sweet

anyone else got any suggestions?

Could be popeye. Google it and see if it looks the same as the pictures.

If it is and its only one eye then its probably beeen in a fight or banged it on something. If its two it could be bacterial and you'll need to treat it as such.

  • Author

just got in from work and spent half an hour waiting to get a good look at her eye-to me it seems that theres a wound just behind the eye causing swelling(?) or damage to the eye itself.

there's nothing sharp in the tank (that I can think of), so I'll guess theres been un usually high level of aggro.

tanks reasonably well planted but could use more cover,plenty of caves and drift wood

in tank there is:

pair of golden dwarf cichlids(female has the bad eye)

pair of panduro(probably caused it)

2 BN's

10 neons and

6 golden pencil's

any suggestions for possible treatment? she's eating normally but is otherwise pretty listless and hiding in the plants at the back.

will try get and post a photo

  • Author

photo's arn't too god but should show what i mean

fish022qu8.jpg

fish028rs8.jpg

fish029ou6.jpg

any sugested treatments? should I seperate from the main tank-I have a little 27 liter tank I can use as a hospital tank - would only take a short time to set up

  • Author

bought melafix and will be setting up hospital tank later when I get a box filter off Gannet.

just a bare tank with some cover (Ambula) and a cave-that ok?

Yep that will be good.

I had a similar problem with a white calvus female 3 weeks ago. Her eye was damaged aswell and starting to swell. looked a lot like in your pic. To be on the safe side I threw her into a cycled 2 footer & got some tetracycline tablets. Which is a good anti bacterial.

She come out good. The eye is clear, no swelling, lense is stuffed but at least it healed up & she still has some sight in the eye.

Here is a good link to eye problems...

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

Frenchy :D

  • Author

ok got hospital tank set up -had to wait over 2 hours before she was out in the open and I could catch her with out undue stress.

got a better look at the eye -is definatly a wound of some type -theres flesh (or what looks to be flesh ) hanging loose .

will keep you informed of progress-thanks for your help especially when Michelle was on here while I was at work

The eye does show damage, in relation to external damage. & also note the damage to the fins too. It is getting picked on.

I think the hospital tank is a good idea. Also when you re introduce, check to see what fish it is fighting with.

Frenchy :D

  • Author

Eyes looking mutch better today-wound's just forward of the eye -to early to tell but posible that the eye itself may be ok

I can take a good guess that it's the panduro-thought there'd be enough cover for every one to co-exist but looks like I was wrong .

just did some minor re arangements and will be adding more plants before re intoducing her to the main tank -hope that will help

  • Author

Ok- she's healing well -although the eye is gone -somthing realy had a go at her-will be adding extra plants on sunday(stargrass) which should provide more cover/places to hide-could any one suggest some floating plants as the tank is still quite bare at the top.

thats the good news -everything else seems to have gone to hell :( :- http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/having ... 21161.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.