makeing sand ready for fish tanks

andyman98

Lovely Golden Bay sand eh? I get sand off the local beach and don't do anything with it except put it in the tank. You might have to skim the water with a net to catch a few drifty bits stuck in there, like chips of wood, dead insects etc.

I just dump it in the tank. If it's a bit cloudy when you start filling I just use the tank vacuum to pick up the silt and dirt. Push it to the bottom of the gravel to get all the muck. When it's filled up next time it's clear as.

Most of the time the gravel is really clean so the vacuuming isn't necessary...

If you are really worried about disease or bacteria, put the gravel in a bucket with a bit of Hypochlorite based bleach. It will kill anything + help break down organic matter + help remove oil / petrolium residue. It will need to be very well rinsed. You can kill the chlorine with a bit of Sodium thiosulphate then rinse well again. The thiosulphate isn't really necessary but it cuts down on the rinsing. Once you can't smell any trace of chlorine its ready.