Mark's 3foot Tank

markoshark

36" by 15" by 15" (or there-abouts)

Nice "Beginners" tank ;).

Currently running 1x marine light (selling on TM currently) - 2nd one is turned off, fluval 404, and a generic heater. :bounce:. Dark Substrate, not sure what its called, and black backdrop. Not that you can see much of it.

Currently stocked with:

1x Blue male Fighter

1x Purple-Blue Female Fighter - Donated

1x Tiger Barb (Thinks it is a Black Widow Tetra) - Donated

2x Black Widow Tetras - Donated

3x Zebra Danios - One is dull, other two are _very_ bright, different species / subspecies? - Donated from different sources

1x Male Guppy - Also donated, follows the Danios around. Wonders why it can't keep up.

1x Large Amazon Sword

1x Large Borneo Sword

2x Small Tiger Lotuses

Bunches of Java Fern

Random Crypts

Small Anubis

Dwarf Sag Grass

And now, for the pictures!

With Flash

DSCF1164.jpg

Without Flash

DSCF1165.jpg

Female Fighter

DSCF1170.jpg

Male Fighter

DSCF1171.jpg

Lonley Guppy

DSCF1168.jpg

And now, for the questions.

Dealing with alge - SAE, or bristlenose pleco?, and Flourish Excel - Harmful to a black ghost knife? And will it help rid me of alge?

Affixing Java Fern to driftwood. Brass thumbtacks? - Are they going to leach?

Granite - Leech into the water?

Opal - Same thing

(I tried with kauri gum, thinking that it should be safe. Soo wrong)

Keeping the glass clean on the outside? - Anything work, other than hourly wipe-downs :P

I really like the pics of your tank, the driftwood looks great. I think most people tie the ferns etc onto driftwood with cotton until they attach themselves. The outside of the tank should only get dirty if water spills or has hands on it. I just wipe mine down with a slightly damp paper towel and polish it.

looking nice ! would suggest getting another 5 tiger barbs - they are best in a shoal and a single one will soon start to destroy your fighters and guppy's tails. try to avoid having "one of this and one of that" where they fish are normally found in shoals or groups. some snails are good at cleanup and dont like plants. i'd also say it would be good to get one more female betta so the male does not harrass the one girl all the time when its time for breeding. but plant are great ! :)

Changing my list again :/

1x Male Fighter

2x Female Fighters

6x Dainos

2x Bristlenose plecs

1x Black Ghost Knife

3x Silver Shark

3x Clown Loach

2x Port Hoplo Catfish

Probably overstocked :/

I tired taking some more pictures last night. When taking pics, do you have house lights on, or off?

As i use the computer a lot at night, it makes sense for me to get nocturnal fish :P

the tank light on, the room light off, so the out side of the tank is totally dark. dont use the flash. And if your camera has present white balances (auto, daylight, cloudy, fluorescent and incandescent) just flick through them till one looks the best. and i have my camera setting to twilight portrait

if there is a gap between top of the water and the lid of the tank, you may want to try cover it, my camera seems to lens flare along that gap

just took these on my phone to show the difference

dsc00126op7.jpg

dsc00125jr5.jpg

Not yet.

On the buy list, as i suspect i may need it.

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/prod ... php?id=892 - Couple of those.

Could try a Sodastream set-up. I'm in the middle of setting one up now. Get an Alco2jet Bottle or the smaller bottle, get the regulator off trademe, needle valve from a hobbyshop, CO2 safe hose, and a DIY bubble counter. After that you'll need a difuser. Depending which bottle you use, it could be cheaper then the approx $70 for each of the yeast orientated Plant Gro systems (considering you said you were looking at getting a couple).

You can start on the smaller bottle, then wait til the larger bottle pops up on trademe, or get one from a Sodastream stockist.

lmfao I gotta get mine running 1st. Got the reg + bubble counter/difuser on the way. Just picked up a brand new Alco2jet bottle from farmers (they retail at $79.95) earlier, while I was refilling the smaller bottle for my sons sodastream.

Prolly drop in at Hollywoods or somewhere to get some hosing. After I get it running, you can bug me. lol Alot of people on here use the same set-up. Check the technical topic thread or use the search engine. Its what I've been using as a guide.

Pressurized is alot better then yeast apparently. Don't need to keep mixing up new batches of yeast mixture for the DIY or store brought versions.

They are good back-ups for when you have to re-fill the bottle, but that'll only be once or twice every 2 months depending on the amount used.