gouramies problem.

Andrew_W

Well I flushed him down the toilet, then in the morning he was swimming in the bowl, so I took him out, and put him into a plastic container...but he jumped out while i was at work.

Yes there is a male and female fighters. also

peru panaque (i think :roll: )

1 Cobalt gourami, had 2

2 orange/silver gouramis

5 guppies + a fry

1 BN

now the other cobalt blue one looks like its developing the same thing.

on the cobalt blue one and one of silver/orange ones, has a dark colouration under its chin, and along the front of the fin, which runs along bottom of the fish...sorry i dont know the name of fish parts yet.

dsc00120jv0.jpg

Ok i just spent a bit of time watching all the fish and this is my theory

That bubble nest (picture in other thread) was made by one or more of my gouramis...I have never seen my fighter blowing bubbles or anything.

So cause one or more of them has made a nest, they are grumpy and attacking each other, as i just saw my smaller Orange/silver gourami mall my larger cobalt one in much the same spot as the wound on the 1st cobalt one.

peoples thoughts?

this still doesn;t explain the dark colouration under the two fish though

The bubblenest could have been made by either the fighter or gouramies. I've never had them together in a tank as I have heard that the males don't get on very well together being from the same family.

Female fighters go a whitish colour underneath when they are full of eggs, maybe your gouramies are colouring up for breeding. Sorry I can't be much help.

You could try posting this under freshwater instead.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok i just spent a bit of time watching all the fish and this is my theory

That bubble nest (picture in other thread) was made by one or more of my gouramis...I have never seen my fighter blowing bubbles or anything.

So cause one or more of them has made a nest, they are grumpy and attacking each other, as i just saw my smaller Orange/silver gourami mall my larger cobalt one in much the same spot as the wound on the 1st cobalt one.

peoples thoughts?

this still doesn;t explain the dark colouration under the two fish though

The dark colouration, anything from black, grey to dark metalic blue, usually appears when the males are ready to spawn.

When they get like this, they are very territorial, and will chase and beat up any Gourami-looking thing they see, including the female.

With our pair, the female had to sneak up under him and rub his sides in order to try and curry his favour and not get beaten up to spawn.