Siamese tiger

Benny

G'day

I have had a Siamese tigerfish for about 3 days now, and I still have not seen him eat anything. Does anyone know what to feed one? currently I have been trying to feed him frozen bloodworms and cichlid tucker with no luck. He is currently 4".

Thanks

well unbelievable as it may sound, over the past days my siamese tiger has grown quite fond of pellets meant for cichlids and cichlid tucker. Infact, from not eating anything about a week ago, yesterday I saw him steal a hunk of cichlid tucker right from my giant gourami's mouth. So there you have it, they don't necessarily need live food. I guess he got so hungry he had to eat what I gave him.

That is good to hear Benny. Everything I could find out about them said they were very picky eaters and would only eat live foods so it sounds like you are lucky to have one which will eat pellets.

I got mine when it was about 200mm long (about 4 years old). Its now 280mm and 5-6 years old. In 2 years I've not been able to convince it to try anything else. It had been fed very well on only live food before I got it. Because it was so well fed, it will no longer accept anything but live food.

If trained from young to accept normal foods they do adapt well. They have to or they get very hungry. Mine seems to be well beyond training. Two weeks without any food and it still won't touch anything it thinks is dead. The beef heart strips do work, but only once (as Bruce says) and you have to wiggle it to make it look alive. You've also got to watch your fingers!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was up at WP a couple of days ago and saw the tigers, They are so tiny!

i dont know about their survival at that size. my one has got quite solid over the last month, he would honestly have a bulk 100 times of the little ones.

the thing with big tigers is that they turn into sacks! Just watch the ones in the WP display tanks, no movement.

• 4 months later...

Try beefheart cut into small pieces or fresh shrimp or prawns he will love it. Ignore the info you find Cause it could be very old and untrue now. They have changed the classification on this so many times now its not funny. email for photocopys on the tigers info for i have some really new stuff that will help you. I dont wanna sound rude but thats a bit on the high side redwoods had them last week for $42 each. Sorry none left

yup...true...i bought one of the ones from redwood for 42... very reasonable... the other one has been bought by someone as well... but redwood is keeping it for him to get it in a better condition before the guy takes it home... it is looking a bit thin, black and does not move much...

the one i got is really good though... nice bright colours once i got it home... and swimming around... very picky eater though.... only wants to eat live food... so far I have fed it tadpoles, mosquito larvae and earthworms