How much space?

Gatito

Hey guys, i've had my young krib pair for a wee while now, in my community tank. They shimmy for each other, the female does that weird bendy-sweepy movement with her tail, they guard the tunnel and seem dead keen, but my guess is that the comm. tank is too heavily stocked, which is why they aren't spawning.

I'd like to give them their own tank and let them have a go at it, maybe with a baby BN or two to play clean-up crew.

How big a tank should i set up? Any help in regard to either dimensions or volume would be very helpfull!!!

Thanks!!

Picture13022007005.jpg

Thanks Afrikan :) I'd love to see what their fry would look like

Hmmm, may have to get my hands on a 2ft then, i only have small tanks sitting around... (tries to figure out how to sneak a new tank into house)

Aside from lots of caves, anything specific? should i use a planted tank? gravel or barebottom? Would they eat algae if i got some growth before breeding?

*resolves to google once i get home*

Awesome, thanks guys!!

Hmmmm, i think i'll go for gravel so it looks a bit prettier, use a hang-on filter, but leave the plants as i don't have a spare light at the moment... or have them in the sunroom as it's not too hot any more!! i like that plan...

Cichlid7, how big is your breeding tank?

hey gatito, honestly you should have no trouble breeding the kribs however you decide to set the tank up. a cave definately helps but ive had them lay on the glass under a leaf before. also i found they quite like to dig a bit of a hole.

i used to find a 50% cold water change triggered a spawn just about every time.

only other advice i could give is possibly use a couple of cories for cleanup instead of b/n? b/n in my experience are nearly invincible, have watched b/n eat eggs despite being attacked by mum and dad :roll:

have fun breeding these they are great fun and excellent parents.

nice looking fish too

• 2 months later...

Update :bounce: - got a 2ft tank and on sunday i set the kribs up in it with a ceramic v-shape pipe (quite short) and a bit of bogwood for baby BN's, and that they can hide under, as they were acting pretty shy after coming out of the community tank.

Had also set up a tank for my guppies next door, and on a whim last night i decided to separate the guppies out - females and juveniles in the guppy tank, and males in with the kribs (as they were staying in their pipe i figured i might as well use the rest of the space for a week or so, and maybe the other fish will make them feel better after coming out of a cramped community tank).

Last night when adding the male guppies i moved the ceramic pipe and didn't notice anything. But this morning i went in to feed them and there were some little light brown things on the bottom of the pipe (realised they must be eggs after a sleepy blink and a stare or two). The female was looking after them and the male was (gasp!! finally) actually OUT OF THE PIPE (has been in there since they moved in) and was sitting around under the driftwood, and seemed quite calm (maybe pleased with himself?). So looks like the guppies helped, but will have to move them out to prevent them indulging in a few baby kribsicles :lol:

Yay!!! It's been a while since i first asked about breeding them, so i'm going to have to brush up on what i've forgotten (how long it takes for eggs to hatch, what to do, etc etc). To be honest i didn't expect it to happen this soon, thought they'd need to get settled, do the swish-shimmer-courtship etc first. Apparently the constant teasing in the big tank (think it was too cramped for them to actually give it a go) worked a charm...

Could two breeding pairs be kept in a seperated 2foot tank?

i think they could as long as

its a wide ish tank

and the pair already are used to each other

when i first got my kribs the male would chase the female round and nip her but now they get on great :D